Why can't I fit gas cooker?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was looking on the Curry site for a new gas cooker for my flat, but all the ones I came across (different brands) say that they "May not be installed in flats". Is this a new rule, why?

Does this mean I can only fit an electric cooker?

Sponsored Links
It's to do with new legislation covering flame failure devices. If it's not fitted with appropriate protection it can't be installed in flats.
I don't know of any gas cooker that conforms to the legislation at this time.
It may be possible to install a gas oven and electric hob but you'd have to research it.

Viritually all the cookers on the 1st page of the Curry's gas cookers list say you can't fit them (sorted Price:Low->High). From about half way down the second page the advice is gone, so I'm assuming you can fit these one. But the price has gone up by 50-100 pounds depending on the brand you look at. Sounds like an expensive part.

An expensive part....or another way to get more money out of you, especially if they are compulsory for flats.

Sponsored Links
Electric cookers don't seem to have the same hadicap. Are there any other benefits to fitting an electric cooker? What KW rating would you need for daily fry-ups?

Electric cookers don't seem to have the same hadicap. Are there any other benefits to fitting an electric cooker? What KW rating would you need for daily fry-ups?

Single ring 1.4kw..but you cant buy that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back