why cant i install TRV's?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to install TRV's in my bedrooms, bathroom and kitchen.

However, if i isolate just one of my radiators my boiler starts to kettle within about 5 minutes. So in theory if i install TRV's and they close down then my boiler is likely to implode on itself. (maybe not that bad but...)

Any ideas as to why this might be the case?

System info:

Glow-worm Space Saver Mk 2, 40BR
C-Plan (Feed and Vent before the DHW MV)
Siemens Wireless room thermostat
Siemens cylinder stat
Siemens RWB29 controller/programmer
22MM feed and return pipes
15mm spurs to radiators upstairs and 8mm microbore to downstairs
7 Single bar radiators

No pumping over, no kettling usually, clean system - flushed annually and inhbitor added. System water exceptionally clean for the age of the system. F&E tank clear and no sludge.

THANKS!

Sponsored Links
You most likely have a one pipe system, only solution is a re-pipe if you want TRVs

It's a two pipe system with 22mm flow and return pipes. The system although not new is a late eighties system.

Sponsored Links
Suggest that you need to install a pressure relief bypass valve. Sounds like you have only just enough water flow through the boiler when all rad valves open.
Hope this helps.
Rich

Yes because I installed the c plan myself about 4 years ago.

Previous to that it was just an on or off system. No room stat or cylinder stat and a basic timer with just on or off twice a day!

C plan was wired to Honeywell diagrams

You most likely have a one pipe system, only solution is a re-pipe if you want TRVs
A one pipe system has a constant flow regardless of the TRV's shutting. Even with every radiator off, the water will continue to circulate around the one pipe which is formed as a loop.

Also, all my rads have standard Terrier TRV's (except the hall where the room thermostat is) and they all work perfectly.

However, if i isolate just one of my radiators my boiler starts to kettle within about 5 minutes. So in theory if i install TRV's and they close down then my boiler is likely to implode on itself. THANKS!
No , it would EXplode :mrgreen:

All boilers should have an autobypass valve.

A higher head pump might help too.

8 mm is not easy to use !

Tony

the boiler is 25 years old so i dont think it has an auto bypass valve.

Where would an auto bypass valve need to be fitted on a system like mine?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back