Why do I have a Cold water tank?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a 1930's which has a modern combi-boiler for hot water and central heating. When this was installed I'm guessing the old hot water tank in the airing cupboard was removed. I still however have a cold water tank in the loft which has overflowed twice in as many weeks. Why do i still have one as I would have thought it would/should have been drained and disconnected when the boiler was installed. Do I still need it and why?

Sponsored Links
It might still supply some cold taps in your bathroom................turn the water off, open a few cold taps in the house and see if the level drops.

Some electrci showers run off stored water....another thing to check.

Some combi's run off an open system........what combi do you have?

I don't have an electric shower as i have a shower attachment on the taps.

My boiler is a sime one.

And the tank does supply the cold water taps in the bathroom as i need to turn these on to stop it overflowing. This happens if I use the hot water in the bathroom for too long. I assume I need the tank to maintain the pressure but then the mains has enough pressure to get the water into the loft in the first place so I still wonder if I can do without it?

or you could change the washer in the tank ball valve. i bet its not sealing properly and over filling

Sponsored Links
in olden days before you & I were born the cold supply (mains) did not feed the upstairs ablutions because it woz poor. Nowadays you will probably have a great incoming mains pressure Hooray, :D rip out yer tank!! ( then pay a plumber to reconnect all that your tank fed) :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back