Why do some overflow pipes have a 45 degree cut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have installed a header tank in the loft for a rain water harvesting system and as per design it has a 40mm overflow pipe to the outside.

I see that overflow pipes sometimes have a 45 degree angle cut on the outlet end.

What is the purpose of that cut and do I need to make one or can it be left stright?

The second question is whether I should put some form of grill, self sealing waste or one way valve on the pipe. I am just wondering if at 40mm there is a chance that flying insects/wasps might find it as a way in to the loft. Thoughts?

Thank you for your help.

Sponsored Links
With the 45°cut water accumulates at the point, overcomes surface tension and drips off. Without the 45° cut the water spreads around the end of the pipe and it takes longer for the surface tension to be overcome. In freezing conditions the pipe with a 45° cut end will take longer to become blocked by ice,

The second question is whether I should put some form of grill, self sealing waste or one way valve on the pipe. I am just wondering if at 40mm there is a chance that flying insects/wasps might find it as a way in to the loft. Thoughts?
You need a bylaw 30 kit, that's designed to stop insect etc for getting in.

Sponsored Links
With the 45°cut water accumulates at the point, overcomes surface tension and drips off. Without the 45° cut the water spreads around the end of the pipe and it takes longer for the surface tension to be overcome. In freezing conditions the pipe with a 45° cut end will take longer to become blocked by ice,
Thank you Bernard.

A follow on question: should the 45°cut be upwards or downwards or does it not matter?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back