Why do they (ISPs) force us to pay for euipment we don't need?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm moving home soon, decided to check cheaper deals for the ubiquitous internet that we can't live without.

This and That Co offer cheap deals, but insist on sending me a NEW router. I've already got 3 or so kicking around and I'm quite happy to do the setup myself. Also they charge £9.95 router delivery charge for what purports to be a 'free' router...

I understand that 'the majority' may welcome this freebie and the ease of setup it offers but surely it's adding to the (already excess) e-waste that we all generate these days?

I actually got my current router out of the bin when a local company emptied their offices - along with a set of cordless phones and and ... :whistle: It's been working perfectly for me and I don't want another!

End of rant...

Stephen

Sponsored Links
Have you told them you don't want it, what was their response?

sometimes a new router is needed - I had an BT Home Hub 3 and couldn't stream Netflix, BT upgraded for free though.
But yeah, they do like to send out routers. I think it is to try to tie you in emotionally - like, some people think they must stay with Virgin / BT etc because they have their box in the hallway.

sometimes a new router is needed - I had an BT Home Hub 3 and couldn't stream Netflix, BT upgraded for free though.
But yeah, they do like to send out routers. I think it is to try to tie you in emotionally - like, some people think they must stay with Virgin / BT etc because they have their box in the hallway.

They're only needed because the routers BT/Plusnet send out are crap to start with. I've got a top notch Netgear router and it's very unlikely it will need replacing any time soon.

Sponsored Links
I guess it is just easier for them - the cost of people raising technical fault and testing / diagnosis is probably much higher than just making everybody buy the latest router of their choosing from the outset.

Have you told them you don't want it, what was their response?

Tried two of the frontrunners - they say there's nothing they can do - you have to have it!

I've been on Plusnet for years and always told them I don't need a router when I renew/moved on previous occasions.
... I've got a top notch Netgear router and it's very unlikely it will need replacing any time soon.
Ditto!
I guess it is just easier for them - the cost of people raising technical fault and testing / diagnosis is probably much higher than just making everybody buy the latest router of their choosing from the outset.
That's a good point, and probably the reason for it all.

I wonder how much they are manufactured for in the first place, as they charge £9.95 postage and claim that the Royal Mail charges them that much! Real cost of sending a similar packet for me and thee is £2.82 (small parcel 2nd class). They obviously get generous discounts as high volume users.

Anyone who thinks free means without cost needs to wake up!
As my research into buying mobiles on contract proved, FREE meant anything but.

I've never bought a mobile on contract, total ripoff. It's always cheaper to buy a phone and get SIM only. Well, so long as you don't insist on having a new iphone every 12 months it is.
I am on my 3rd smart phone since 2009. Current one is almost a year old, and should easy last another year, maybe two. That'll be about £4 a month, plus the SIM only contract - a lot less than some colleagues are paying for their "free" handsets!

Sponsored Links
Back