Why does it take so long to clear Motorway incidents?

I remember getting in to an argument with a scamera opperator about the nonsense of the phrase "at 40mph - 80% of people hit die and at 20mph 80% survive" - he was using it to justify enforcing speed limits and also reducing limit to 20mph. But the point is this... Its impact speed that kills not free traveling speed. That is shown in the stats. We know 60% of drivers exceed the 30mph limit, so we'd expect say 30 or 40% of people hit to die? right? So how come less than 3% of people hit by cars in 30 limits die.

"Speed kills" was a massive failure IMO - made drivers think the slower they drive, the safer they are. I don't think I glanced at my speedo once on any of the advanced training exams I took.

Sponsored Links
We know 60% of drivers exceed the 30mph limit

you surely don't believe that, 100% of the time, 60% of the cars travelling in 30 limits are exceeding the speed limit? And this is the case for vehicles that hit pedestrians (so in busy shopping streets spilling off the pavement, full of people crossing without looking, and children running into the road)? Where did you get that from?

And are you assuming that people who hit pedestrians never brake first?

Sponsored Links
I'm going to be a bit flippant in my response here...
why bother investigating any killing? The person is already dead and wasting millions finding the killer and locking them up wont bring back the dead.

I do however agree that minor RTA's should not be regarded as "crime scenes". However we have the blair govt to blame for that as this approach was brought in when the ACPO started looking to make revenue from drivers in the form of speed camera partnerships. They wanted all activities to be attributed to crime solving, so police on scene = someone is down for a ticket.

This policy from Blair is now being used by successive governments in the belief that departments can simply be revenue generators - its a fetishism of marketisation and transaction theory. Yet people still lap it up.

Eh?

Actually don't bother, there is already a recent dull wan kers thread going. No need for any more clutter.

It's the neo liberal economic policy approach to every problem - great for consultants, advisers but not workers or anyone receiving the service.

make cars more dangerous for drivers and the roads may be safer ??

ban seat belts for drivers & stick a massive sharp spike in the steering wheel that would impale em and cause instant death ? :)

what was it ?? 30% of accidents are caused by drunk drivers ??? meaning that 70% are caused by people who are perfectly sober ?:)

Motorway accidents take far too long to clear up, because the police have become jobsworth, and will block the whole road off, simply because it easier, and there's less risk of any of them getting hurt. And it stops people rubbernecking - which should be against the law.

far to many jobs worths in society now :)

A jogger in London push's a pedestrian into the path of a bus.

Police arrest some bloke , who was not in the U.K at that time as he was in the USA.

Simples while u are around his house look at his pass port.Yep he was in the USA . move on simples :)

or so any one with common sense may think ???

Not the Jobs worth from the police though ?? :LOL:

Motorway accidents take far too long to clear up, because the police have become jobsworth, and will block the whole road off, simply because it easier, and there's less risk of any of them getting hurt. And it stops people rubbernecking - which should be against the law.

Why has the police become jobsworths? Whats the solution?

ACPO has changed the attitude of the police from being a servant of the public if you like, to being a trade union that protects it's members first, and won't allow them to do anything that may bring them into harm. You have to have adequate training before you can do anything, you need to do a risk assesment before you jump in anywhere, and you can't allow other members of the public to step in and show you up - sorry, you've got to protect them from their own stupidity as well.

What's the solution. Get rid of ACPO, and remind the police that they are there to protect us, not preservetheir domain.

ACPO has changed the attitude of the police from being a servant of the public if you like, to being a trade union that protects it's members first, and won't allow them to do anything that may bring them into harm.
Doggit is on one of his typical misinformation or misunderstanding crusades.
ACPO was not a staff association. It acted for the police service, not its members.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_Chief_Police_Officers

What's the solution. Get rid of ACPO, and remind the police that they are there to protect us, not preservetheir domain.
ACPO was replaced two years ago:
Following the Parker Review into ACPO, it was replaced in 2015 by a new body, the National Police Chiefs' Council,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_Chief_Police_Officers

A serious accident is investigated like a crime scene because . . . . well one reason is that chucking the recently deceased into the back & having a bit of a bump is still a favourite way to legitimise a dead body.

They close the road because . . . . well one reason is most folk seem to have rubber necks.

Sponsored Links
Back