WHY DOES MY CH HEADER TANK KEEP FILLING????

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry for sounding stilly - i'm half asleep tonight!! but how would closing the cold feed gate valve tell for sure if the coil has gone?!

Sponsored Links
if a coil has gone the cws (larger tank) will pass water to the f/e (smaller tank) 9/10 times as its larger and the water lever is higher.
by stopping the water from the higher tank to the cylinder.
it won't pass through the coil and their for the f/e will stop filling.

I see your point but i just thought that if the water has been on for over 24hrs, that the tank should have backed up by now if the coil is split.

ya agree but not seeing the job as you can we have to try and picture whats going on.
depends how bad the coil has split.
you can check when the little tank is filling check to see if the large tank is filling as well but from the ball valve mains pipe.
thats another way to check

Sponsored Links
it must be a hole in the coil 0 what other explanation can it be?? can't be a blocked cold feed as there is still water in the system i take it??

I did check that when the tank was filling to see if the HW one was as well and this didn't seem to be the case.
What makes me think that the vent is blocked is that if it wasn't, and assuming that the coil is ok, why would the water not travel up the vent and over into the tank. :eek:

Steve,

Dont think cold feed is blocked because your quite right.
But like i said above what about the vent.
Is the heating trying to vent through the cold feed.

this is a weird one - i wanna find out the answer to this! :) i'd lay money on it being he coil though - if the pipe was blocked somewhere then the water wouldn't be able to come out of the vent would it? very tricky !...

why would a blockage somewhere down the pipe cause water to come out of the vent?

Firstly, when i find the problem, i'll let you know.
In answer to your question, the water isn't rising through the vent, its coming up through the cold feed.
But this is my point, is the vent blocked meaning that the cold feed has to act as a combined cold feed and vent.

umm sorry for misreading. the cold feed is also the expansion tank for when the CH /primary water is heated. what's the distance roughly from your feed and expansion tank and your primary flow to your hot water cylinder?

a blocked cold feed causes the water to exit vent.
a split coil or blockage round system will cause it to come through the feed in bottom of tank.

but we need the answer to the questions on the cws tank refilling etc
or the condition of the f/e tank in the bottom etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back