why does my flat appear to be double wired?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently took off a wall socket to find that there were two power cables wired into it. If I attach a new socket to just one of them it is live and I can use that socket, however the other wire isn't (so a socket attached to that one won't work)

Why does each socket appear to be dual wired?

Are these wires likely to be daisy chaining off to other sockets or something?

What I'm trying to work out is do I need to use this second why when I put on a new socket or can I leave it off or could I in fact use this second cable to put in a second socket further along the wall (they're dry wall so easy to pull cable through

thanks

Sponsored Links
Jamesinealing - please do not do any work on your wiring until you have moved on from your current position of not having a clue about how it all works.

This is not to say that you aren't welcome to ask questions here, and to learn, but right now, since you appear not to have the faintest idea about ring mains and spurs I really would caution against any more fiddling about.

This site does a very good job of explaining the basics, and has some good diagrams, e.g.:

ring%20main%20physical%20diagram.gif

From your description, however, you've either unearthed a radial circuit:

radial%20diagram.gif

or a spur, but if the spur has more than one socket on it and is not fed from a fused conection unit as per this:

fuse%20spur%20wiring%20as%20branch.gif

then it does not comply with the wiring regulations.

In terms of books you can buy or borrow, I'm told, but have no personal knowledge of them, that the Which? Book of Wiring and Lighting, and the Collins are good ones.

Unlike what some people will tell you, electricity is prejudiced - it really doesn't like people who don't know what they are doing, and it will kill them more often than those who do know.

PS - if you think, btw, that looking at those diagrams tells you all you need to know, then I suggest you read this book as well.

It's either that, or a spur with more than 1 socket on it.

My advice still stands, but I'll go back and edit the post...

Sponsored Links
reason i mentioned it, is that he said If I attach a new socket to just one of them it is live and I can use that socket, however the other wire isn't (so a socket attached to that one won't work) that would imply a radial or one seriously damaged ring

I appreciate the feedback.

Having taken a step back and examined the wiring and where it's running I now have a diagram of how the flat's sockets are linked together.

Each socket is wired to the main fusebox directly and hence it can work quite happily without the second one. The secondary wire (subject of the original question) then links off to the next socket in the wall/room.

jamesinealing said:
Each socket is wired to the main fusebox directly and hence it can work quite happily without the second one. The secondary wire (subject of the original question) then links off to the next socket in the wall/room.
Do you mean that you have a number of radial circuits?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back