Two rings connected at socket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On my CU there are two switches each labelled '30a ring circuit'. I intended to move a double socket a bit higher up the wall in the kitchen so I switched off one of the circuits at the consumer unit. I tested to make sure the socket wasn't live by plugging in the kettle and it was dead. I then went to unscrew the live wires at the socket and found that one of them was still live. It would appear that one of the cables is actually connected to the second ring circuit. I have temporarily disconnected and terminated the second cable. The socket works OK but I am concerned that it only has one cable going to it now like a spur. Initially it looked like a part of the ring having two cables going to it. It's only a work top socket so it won't have to supply any real loads. I couldn't understand why the kettle wouldn't switch on and yet one of the red wires was still live. Is it best to reconnect the other cable or leave it isolated? I hope this is clear.

I forgot to say that the offending socket is the first socket wired in an extension to the kitchen.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
After disconnecting, (and terminating safely! I assume), do all the sockets in the house still work?
You need to see if you can find where the other end is connected to but if you are not electrically competent and/or have no test meters you are best to get a qualified electrician in to sort it out.

This sounds like a borrowed neutral, but the kettle is not considered as a test instrument to prove dead, and with most UK consumer units you can't isolate with a MCB you have to turn off the main switch or RCD to isolate, as neutral is considered a live wire.

In real terms with a TN supply yes the MCB is good enough, however not with a TT supply.

Thank you both for your comments. Yes the wires were terminated correctly and safely with Splice Line connectors. All socket still work OK. The circuits have been used for donkeys years by an old chap who lived here before us without an issue (we've been here for 3 months). We always switch off anything not in use. We are having an extension this year so I will get the sparky to check that out. I was just wondering if I should reconnect that wire or leave it isolated. I know it's difficult to say.

Sponsored Links
I then went to unscrew the live wires at the socket and found that one of them was still live.

How did you find it was still live?

It sounds to me more like the wiring is correct and its your testing or means of testing that is at fault

It sounds to me more like the wiring is correct and its your testing or means of testing that is at fault
How can my testing be at fault when I switched off the circuit and it was still live? I wasn't born yesterday pal.

The circuit isn't as it should be and it doesn't matter at all how I found this out does it?

What kind of tester? With the MCB that that tripped, reset? or left tripped?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back