Why does my fusebox trip out when i put the C/H on

Sponsored Links
is there anything else it can be apart from and any way to check?

Pump, div valve, boiler fan

cheers for the help btw much appreciated

If you can safely, then you need to isolate each component and figure out which is faulty by process of elimination.

failing that, get someone in who knows what he's doing.

the "Central Heating" breaker marked 6A is not an RCD, it is an MCB. Switching it off isolates only the L, so if the RCD trips when it is on, and not when it is off, we know you have a L to E fault.

If the immersion heater makes any difference, turn it off, when an immersion heater trips the RCD it is almost certain to be because the sheath has broken down with age and it is moist inside.

A L/E fault on CH is almost always water related, with a drip or leak onto an electrical part. TURN OFF THE POWER and look carefully at the cable to the pump, the 3-port valve and the cylinder thermostat (if any) for any signs of moisture. If not there, you may have a leak inside the boiler, which you cannot fix yourself and needs a heating engineer.

Sponsored Links
in this case, it is not a N/E fault, because the MCB stops it..

If it helps in the airing cupboard i have a switch like this and when the central heating wouldnt come on i checked the fuse a 3amp and changed it then the heating kicked it before it tripped out at the main fusebox.

Sam_1929.jpg

First time I have seen a water heater requiring 32 amp breaker :confused:

Always thought it was like that due to the fact if you use the water heater it needs loads of electric to warm the water up

Me again checked a few things this morning then checked the water pump took the little cover off and i can smell burnt like somethings burnt out and have noticed water inside the cover i know i had/have a small water leak from a valve above it but thought the pump was sealed so no water would of got inside i thought. anyway is there a way to test it im guessing to replace would be a plumbers job as it looks a fun job to do

I am unsurprised.

You need to fix the leak, or find someone who can.

It is the pump wired it upto a plug and its tripping so yay found the problem is it easily repaired can i do it whats needed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back