Potterton Puma 80 - Bolier still heating when C/H & H/W

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I really wish I'd found this forum a long time ago!

Our boiler has just started to exhibit the above behaviour. I've bled all the rads and checked the pressure to be 1 bar. If we have the C/H on then there is no problem, if we run a hot tap no problem, but is we are doing neither the boiler is still heating water, and I'm guessing eventually cutting out due to some safety valve, as the boiler makes a banging noise, and eventually the pilot light goes out.

The boiler is fine if left on stand by and only turned on when we need to have hot water or run the C/H, then turned back to standby.

I've replace the PCB in the past, so I've had the front off, but I've not gone any further than that.

Is this something I can look at myself in the first instance, if not - croydoncorgi, you've been very helpful to others in the forum so you must be a reasonable guy ;) so if you'd like a little work... I'm in Thornton Heath.

Thanks in advance for all help and advice!

email address removed, these can be shown in your profile

Sponsored Links
INdeed it is. I could do it on the way to visiting my inlaws in Streatham Vale!

Hi,

Thanks for the advice Kev/Chris. Is this something I could/should do myself? If not, Chris - what could I expect to have to pay to get it replaced professionally (I'm assuming you wouldn't want to charge travel time and expenses from Antartica ;) ).

Regards

Paul

Sponsored Links
Hi Chris/Kev,

Decided to give it a go (after finding more info on the subject from a past post) and all is well now. Had to clean the acual microswitch, as it was getting stuck and not returning so it could be pressed again.

Thanks for all your help.

Paul

Flattery will get you anywhere! :LOL:
If the HW microswitch was stuck, there was probably a reason. If it was caused by a water leak from the diaphragm rod seal, it'll probably happen again - or the microswitch will get properly wet and go bang! (Possibly taking the PCB with it)
If there was any trace of water around the microswitch or on the end of the pushrod, it would be best to fit a new diaphragm assy - not wildly expensive. Email me if you want it done.

Hi Croydoncorgi,

Still running OK now, but It would be good to have your contact details if it does play up. I can't find how I'd send a private message, but feel free to contact me.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul. We can't contact you unless you show your email address in your Profile.

Thanks guys,

Changed my profile so the e-mail address is always shown and now send a direct message to croydoncorgi :)

Regards

Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back