Why have these cracks appeared

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As title really. Are vertical cracks between plasterboard sheets just a fact of life, poor build quality, or a more serious problem?

This is a first floor bedroom under a window.

I'm assuming a flexible filler would give a year or so of fix, but tape and plaster would be better long term?

20200112_152803.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at your previous posts and taking your user name into consideration, I think you are overly concerned by cracks. Most houses have a crack or two and it doesn’t mean that the house is about to fall down. Ask your neighbours whether they have cracks too.

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As title really. Are vertical cracks between plasterboard sheets just a fact of life, poor build quality, or a more serious problem?

This is a first floor bedroom under a window.

I'm assuming a flexible filler would give a year or so of fix, but tape and plaster would be better long term?

View attachment 181013

its normal shrinkage and or movement.

it is not an indication of a structural issue.

unfortunately building works in this country have to cope with the damp wet weather, so what often happens is the the structure gets wet as its built ans dries out over a long period of time, resulting cracks.

Even if the built was perfectly dry, conventional construction methods introduce a lot of water: concrete, mortar, screed, plastering.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You could also paper the wall (and the cracks), depends on how much it worries you.

Sponsored Links