Why I hate domestics

As a little follow up, the OP has been sorted since Christmas using an adaptable box/din/terminals. The 3c&e with a black sleeve was used as a neutral and been corrected. The 1mm radial has been changed to 2.5 and the whole place has had a good going over, adding all the marker sleeves.
We now seem to be on the agencies books as I we were asked to look at another rental property.
The tenant moved in last week and complained that one of the sockets is faulty. I checked it yesterday and gave it a clean bill of health.
Called back today as the rcd operated when they used Henry but the socket a few feet away was OK (a 15A radial, labelled lounge heater, on the non rcd half of the board as opposed to the ring). I checked both sockets dead and alive.
Then tried Henry with no problem.
"It tripped when my husband Hoovered the car"
I asked for the extension lead to check
"Oh there's nothing wrong with that, we've had it for years.":
IMG_20190111_131142.jpg
IMG_20190111_131212.jpg

What doesn't show in the pics is the rubber sheath is well and truly perished and the insulation is as soft as the proverbial brown stuff.
And there is another, much shorter lead there too:
IMG_20190111_132215.jpg

Sponsored Links
Nice, so it doesn't matter which wire goes where, as long as you connect all three! Russian roulette... Only a one in three chance of making the exposed metalwork live.:eek:

Sponsored Links
And with a TT supply a chance you'll get to de-ice a small patch of ground near your house.

Blimey! Bring out the wire cutters!
I replaced the white plug and tested.
I wanted to remove the thick cable, which is about 2.5mm² and maybe 50m long but the customer wouldn't let me, so I removed the green plug and affixed a failed sticker to the cable.
Hopefully she understands my concerns about the well rotted cable which has to be over 40 years old and can convey that to her husband... Hopefully.

In the meantime a bill for 2 visits has gone to the agent with an accurate report, I wonder who will be paying for this one?

n the meantime a bill for 2 visits has gone to the agent with an accurate report, I wonder who will be paying for this one

I expect more than 1 new Henry couldve been bought for that cost......

Worth it I think for removing a risk.

And a good example of how RCD protection is effective.

I expect more than 1 new Henry couldve been bought for that cost......
True but not two, and the problem would have still existed.
And a good example of how RCD protection is effective.
This is also true.
The customer didn't understand the problem in the slightest as the cable had always worked but she did take similar pictures to mine plus similar of the other lead (harmonised colours) as a comparison for her husband.
Fortunately she did understand the size of her little boys fingers and the insulated pins.

I just wish there was some way of knowing what the final outcome is but I'll lay odds on a new plug being fitted by the time he wants to hoover his car again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back