why is loss of freedom of movement in eu seen as a big deal

Rather than 'conjecture', here are some of the 'real world' consequences of the end of freedom of movement.
(I declare an interest due to having been married to a 'European' for many years, and have researched this in depth)

This is what will happen after Brexit given the current proposals.
(Just a few because the implications are vast)

Despite having lived and worked in the UK for many years, paying large amounts of Tax/N.I. and never claimed benefits (save universal child benefit), should my partner leave the UK for more than the current 2 years limit (Mayhem is balking at a possible 5 year limit) for whatever reason (such as caring for a relative) an application to be re-admitted would have to be made despite having 'indefinite leave to remain' and being married to a UK citizen. And this would be dependent on my income (non EU/EEA spousal rules) not my partner's. Unlike us at present, how many families would find themselves in a situation where the UK citizen wasn't also a 'bread winner'? And the threshold is far higher than most would think!

Similarly I would no longer automatically be able to live/work in my partner's country (as I have done in the past) because of reciprocal conditions, nor would I automatically be able to work in another European country (as I have previously done) with my partner. And in financial terms, rights such as pensions accrued/healthcare would not apply in Europe after that current two year period.

In addition my partner's parents spent some years in the UK in order to watch their grandchildren grow up. Always self financing through employment and accrued payments from their home country. The same with my partner's siblings (one of whom is also in a anglo-european relationship). That would no longer be possible due to Directive 2004/38/EC. Because under that directive parents (unless financially dependant) and siblings are not 'direct family members'!

Currently our children are/going to study abroad. It's not a case of (as flippantly stated earlier by tony1851) 'poncy middle-class parents worrying about not being able to send their precious offspring on the Erasmus programme. It's the fact that on graduation their debt will be zero, and they are getting a better education in Europe for what they want to do! A right that all UK children have at present, but which leavers are to deny them in future!

And in reply to tony1851 who also states 'English-speaking countries are a far more logical choice', then it obviously escapes him that most university courses in many European countries are in English - another piece of leaver ignorance! But what's wrong with another language? Our eldest is tri-lingual already, and another not far behind.

The best thing we ever did (in hindsight) for our children was to make sure they were registered as dual nationals within the then time limit. We know families where (because of changing regulations over the years) there are children of different nationalities with the same parents. Ours will have the right to study/work in Europe in future unlike their UK friends!
In fact the eldest has already decided to work abroad after qualifying as a doctor. So there's one more trained person that will be lost to the UK!

And if we decide to join our eldest in Europe? Well my partner will be able to automatically live and work in Europe (albeit losing accrued UK pension etc), whereas I won't.

Thus if myself and my partner wish to stay together post Brexit, in reality financially we are stuck in the UK. So much for the Brexiteers argument of 'if you don't like it here you can always leave'! That reality is far far different!

Many many years of planning for our future options have been thrown into turmoil because of the referendum. And millions of families across Europe are in the same boat.

So our kids are ok, but our family is not. But what is worse is the tens of millions of kids in future generations who won't have the opportunities we've taken for granted.
I'm widely travelled (48 countries and counting), and have worked in many European ones often to fund those travels. Leavers want to deny that right to those who come after them!

And there are many Europeans who had the opportunities to come here, but who will no longer be able to do so. But as history tells us, isolationalism never works in the long run!

However given the problems that will arise in a Brexit future, maybe leavers ought to advise their offspring to only fall in love with 'one of their own'!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I dont think Saudi Arabia would be high my list. Or anybodies list.

I wouldve thought Europe would be a good destination for many people.

There does appear to be some discrepancy depending on which report you refer to or which precise bit of data you are using:
Global trends
Our researchers reviewed the total number of moving enquiries from the last UK financial year (1 April 2015 – 31 March 2016) to find out which countries are top destinations for professional migrants, and which countries are less attractive to this group.
Top five countries people are moving to
1st, France
2nd, United Kingdom
3rd, USA
4th, Australia
5th, Spain
https://www.movehub.com/blog/global-moving-trends-report-2016/

But an earlier different report (2015) shows the countries with the highest level of British migration, which is not quite the same thing:
1 Australia
2 USA
3 Canada
4 Spain
5 New Zealand
6 South Africa
7 Ireland
8 France
9 Germany
10 Channel Islands
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...destinations-for-british-expats-a6738016.html

Rather than 'conjecture', here are some of the 'real world' consequences of the end of freedom of movement.
(I declare an interest due to having been married to a 'European' for many years, and have researched this in depth)

This is what will happen after Brexit given the current proposals.
(Just a few because the implications are vast)

Despite having lived and worked in the UK for many years, paying large amounts of Tax/N.I. and never claimed benefits (save universal child benefit), should my partner leave the UK for more than the current 2 years limit (Mayhem is balking at a possible 5 year limit) for whatever reason (such as caring for a relative) an application to be re-admitted would have to be made despite having 'indefinite leave to remain' and being married to a UK citizen. And this would be dependent on my income (non EU/EEA spousal rules) not my partner's. Unlike us at present, how many families would find themselves in a situation where the UK citizen wasn't also a 'bread winner'? And the threshold is far higher than most would think!

Similarly I would no longer automatically be able to live/work in my partner's country (as I have done in the past) because of reciprocal conditions, nor would I automatically be able to work in another European country (as I have previously done) with my partner. And in financial terms, rights such as pensions accrued/healthcare would not apply in Europe after that current two year period.

In addition my partner's parents spent some years in the UK in order to watch their grandchildren grow up. Always self financing through employment and accrued payments from their home country. The same with my partner's siblings (one of whom is also in a anglo-european relationship). That would no longer be possible due to Directive 2004/38/EC. Because under that directive parents (unless financially dependant) and siblings are not 'direct family members'!

Currently our children are/going to study abroad. It's not a case of (as flippantly stated earlier by tony1851) 'poncy middle-class parents worrying about not being able to send their precious offspring on the Erasmus programme. It's the fact that on graduation their debt will be zero, and they are getting a better education in Europe for what they want to do! A right that all UK children have at present, but which leavers are to deny them in future!

And in reply to tony1851 who also states 'English-speaking countries are a far more logical choice', then it obviously escapes him that most university courses in many European countries are in English - another piece of leaver ignorance! But what's wrong with another language? Our eldest is tri-lingual already, and another not far behind.

The best thing we ever did (in hindsight) for our children was to make sure they were registered as dual nationals within the then time limit. We know families where (because of changing regulations over the years) there are children of different nationalities with the same parents. Ours will have the right to study/work in Europe in future unlike their UK friends!
In fact the eldest has already decided to work abroad after qualifying as a doctor. So there's one more trained person that will be lost to the UK!

And if we decide to join our eldest in Europe? Well my partner will be able to automatically live and work in Europe (albeit losing accrued UK pension etc), whereas I won't.

Thus if myself and my partner wish to stay together post Brexit, in reality financially we are stuck in the UK. So much for the Brexiteers argument of 'if you don't like it here you can always leave'! That reality is far far different!

Many many years of planning for our future options have been thrown into turmoil because of the referendum. And millions of families across Europe are in the same boat.

So our kids are ok, but our family is not. But what is worse is the tens of millions of kids in future generations who won't have the opportunities we've taken for granted.
I'm widely travelled (48 countries and counting), and have worked in many European ones often to fund those travels. Leavers want to deny that right to those who come after them!

And there are many Europeans who had the opportunities to come here, but who will no longer be able to do so. But as history tells us, isolationalism never works in the long run!

However given the problems that will arise in a Brexit future, maybe leavers ought to advise their offspring to only fall in love with 'one of their own'!

Brilliant points well made.

The education aspect is missed by so many. They see such a narrow reductive argument.

Sponsored Links
sweet that tony has heard of Erasmus, even though he is opposed to learning and to international co-operation.
I'm not opposed to international cooperation, but am opposed to political union and closer integration, which is the EU's aim.

At work my colleagues are Brazilian, Israeli ( just done uk citizenship to stay) , Irish Canadian, German, French, Spanish and British
All (apart from the brits and Israelis ) are worried about their future employment.

Auf weidersein pet had British guys working in Europe , a mate worked on nuclear stuff in Grenoble 10 years ago. Loads of retirees move to Spain

That's why

Rather than 'conjecture', here are some of the 'real world' consequences of the end of freedom of movement

Many thanks for a very interesting post.

I have never understood the governments approach to citizenship of those that have settled in the UK after coming here under free movement.

The government should have automatically guaranteed full citizenship following article 50, to all those settled in the UK.

This website has lots of information and highlights the worry it is causing:

https://www.the3million.org.uk

...countries such as the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or the Arabian gulf (eg Saudi Arabia) would be far more sensible choices...

So because your preferred countries are all outside the EU, you're quite happy that other people, whose choices need not be the same as yours, should be restricted.

So because your preferred countries are all outside the EU, you're quite happy that other people, whose choices need not be the same as yours, should be restricted.

brazalians and Indians are already restricted in coming here under your beloved eu rules.
Hypocrite.

Rog, what happened in your life for you to become so filled with hate?

Sure there are things that annoy me but I am glad there are way more things that I gain enjoyment from.

Sponsored Links
Back