Why is my house cold and damp?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My small detached house was built in 1928. It was built with engineering bricks (don't ask me why) and has standard lime mortar on the inside walls. When the sun shines is nice and warm but as soon as the sun goes in it's like a fridge. And then there's the damp.....

Sponsored Links
Gas central heating from a combi boiler, although obviously this is not on between April and October! I should also add that we had cavity wall insulation on three walls but not the fourth "Cos we can't access it". (shed and garage too close to house wall)

The damp could be condensation. You need to know the temp and relative humidity of the room, and the surface temp of the damp walls.

Sponsored Links
where do you dry your wet washing?

how long do you run the bathroom extractor fan after a bath or shower?

When the weather is fine I dry washing outside. Smaller items tend to get dried in the bathroom but I always leave the window open and the door closed. I don't have any extractor fans (can't afford to run the blooming things!) But I do have windows!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back