Just spalling bricks or DPC to cure damp

Thanks for the pic.
I suspect that you've got maybe mixed rising & penetrating damp - damp, cold walls will also attract condensation. Lack of ventilation will also create condensation conditions.

Not knowing if you have solid walls and a solid floor I'd suggest that you remove the skirtings in the affected areas, and then hack off the plaster back to brick to a height of 1m.
Then allow time for the brickwork to dry - if thats possible.
Then use a 3:1 render mix of sand & NH lime to render the bare brickwork.
Use a remedial skim finish.
Dont use any gypsum plaster.

Think about new sand and lime pointing for the bottom bed courses.
Lowering the ground or installing an effective French or Aco drain will also help.

Sponsored Links
Yes it's a solid wall. The floor is concrete in the front and living room. We've just had carpet put down and the old laminate flooring taken up. Hence we found the damp/ condensation.

Totally appreciate all the advice and sorry if any of my comments were seen as negative.

Don't go knocking off render or plaster, until you've had it professionally diagnosed.

Those internal images are more indicative of condensation damp and subsequent mould. You rarely get black mould on penetrating moisture.

But that's not to say that the wall is not getting some damp, albeit not penetrating, asthis could promote internal condensation.

Get an independent building surveyor, or damp surveyor who is a member of the Property Care Association. Independent is the key word. Also in any report, it's just as important to say what it's not, and what damp is not causing it, than to state what it is and what's causing it. That shows that it's really been investigated.

Sponsored Links
Dave,
None of your comments were negative. Its been great to work with you.

I've just been told about post # 19, four paragraphs, & they are all wrong.
All four are wrong.

For instance, by the time you've paid for a surveyor it will have cost you maybe two or three times the cost of rendering the interior. And after paying for any report you will still have to pay for the work itself.
You do the hack off for a pro plasterer to come in and do the rendering.

Remember that I noticed previous Remedial work had been attempted - now you have a chance to do it properly.

Note: you now mention a damp solid floor under the laminate - this could be connected with the above ie rising damp?
But a pic & a little more info would help. If you remove the skirting then any membrane (DPM) should be seen.

I've just been told about post # 19, four paragraphs, & they are all wrong.
All four are wrong.

n.
Who told you tell ? do tell tell. did someone ( your nurse ?) read them to you. Have you adopted Fred Elliot's persona ? ""All 4, I say, all 4 are wrong""

Luckily the old owners left us a box of papers. Looking in that in 1994 damp and also wood worm work was carried out in the loft and external wall. It's got a 30 year guarantee so I'm.going to see if they have any details of what work was done and if anything has failed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back