Why sweep a chimney that is being lined?

Sponsored Links
Well Doggit, the post seemed to degenerate into madness very quickly didn't it! I've not embarked on this mission as yet - had to finish off the bathroom. Now Christmas is approaching fast I'm gonna hit the wood burner project after the festivities. Got to open up the fire place first. I will certainly be getting the chimney swept, probably always was but was just interested in the reasons behind it. I managed to pick out some decent reasons in amongst the diatribe;)

It's pretty much as Stewart45 said, because you drop the liner down from the chimney, if it hasn't been swept, then it'll bring all the soot down with it. I got the chimney swept first, and the guy cleaned out a flexi bucket full of soot. If I hadn't swept it first, then the chimney liner would have brought that lot down on the person pulling the liner down.

Chimney tend to get swept once a year, but if you're putting in a liner, then it's best to surround it with vermiculite, and that'll stop it banging around whilst it's being swept. The drawback to the vermiculite, is that it stops the upstairs rooms benefitting from the transferred warmth.

Come back to us as you do the job, and we'll see what we can do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back