Why turn off upstairs radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been told I'll save money by turning off the upstairs radiators but I don't know why . I have a remote thermostat in my living room and the temperature will never rise above 20 degrees, the boiler is set at maximum of 75 degrees. I think its due to the fact the house was renovated and the vertical wall rads aren't big enough to heat the room even though building control passed it. The upstairs is warm. How will turning off/down the upstairs rads save me money as the boiler is always on as the thermostat is calling for heat?? Thank you

Sponsored Links
Because the gas consumption is directly related to the amount of heat the boiler is required to produce.

If no heat is required upstairs, then the amount of heat required to keep downstairs at 20 degrees remains (broadly, see below) the same, but no heat is required upstairs.

However, as heat rises it will tend to drift upstairs, requiring more heat input to downstairs to cater for the "loss". So the savings will not be as great as a crude calculation might suggest.

If you leave the upstairs cold you run the risk of increased condensation.

A better way to regulate / minimise heating load is to fit thermostatic radiator valves to all radiators (except the one in the room with the wall thermostat). Set the downstairs ones to around 4 (which roughly equates to 20 degrees) and the upstairs to setting 3, which is about 18.

if you put less heat energy into your home, your energy bill will be lower and your home will be colder

warm air rises so it is normal for heat from downstairs to warm the upstairs rooms somewhat. Closing the internal doors will reduce this.

If your downstairs rooms have bare floorboards, cold air will enter through the gaps, making the downstairs rooms colder, and warm air will rise.

I have been told I'll save money by turning off the upstairs radiators but I don't know why . I have a remote thermostat in my living room and the temperature will never rise above 20 degrees, the boiler is set at maximum of 75 degrees. I think its due to the fact the house was renovated and the vertical wall rads aren't big enough to heat the room even though building control passed it. The upstairs is warm. How will turning off/down the upstairs rads save me money as the boiler is always on as the thermostat is calling for heat?? Thank you

Is your system just one zone?

Do you only have only one thermostat?

Sponsored Links
All radiators have trvs on them. Upstairs is no problem, it's the fact we just can't heat the living room above 19/20 degrees. Boiler is 2 years old with an optimum wireless thermostat which is in the living room as it's the coldest place.

The 2 in the living room are, boiling hot all around. 1 upstairs only ever gets luke warm, probably not balanced but shouldn't interfere with the living room. Newly refurbished 1900s house but passed by building inspector, thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back