Why use concrete tiles/slabs on balcony instead of ordinary?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an early 1980s built house in Croatia. The top terrace is about 3mx3m and was designed to be completely open to the elements, we get a lot of rain and snow in certain seasons. This balcony is letting water into the house from underneath where it joins the house, the facade under the balcony just fell off. There is moss growing in the grout between the concrete tiles/slabs.

We have had similar problems with the another balcony and had the hydro-insulation fixed and put on regular ceramic tile that is meant for outdoors. I am noticing though that the terrace at ground level which has regular ceramic tile (not put on by us) is starting to lose the tile, the tile on the sides is falling off, the concrete underneath isn't in good shape. This leads me to wonder, as we're about to get the top terrace fixed, is it better to use concrete tile/slabs like it has right now rather than the ceramic kind?

I live in Croatia, and while I do speak the language it's hard to get advice on these issues, and even harder to find someone I'm confident really knows what they're talking about. We're reaping the consequences of some pretty odd "it'll be ok like this" DIY as it is. Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back