Balcony advice: bitumin or fiberglass and tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

This year we are having our balcony refurbished. Currently it is a fiberglass balcony and is need of a refurb. along with the balustrade. It's not leaking as far as we know but we're not sure if there is rot going on underneath of course.

We've contacted a builder and his preference is to replace the fiberglass with bitumin. This seems OK to me as long as it lasts long and doesn't leak.
So now we're thinking about what to cover the bitumin with tiles or artificial grass. Tiles would look nice but the grass would just lay on top I think but would it protect the bitumin enough?

Any advice on what to cover the balcony with?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
He means a traditional felt roof presumably? Typically you would use promenade tiles on balcony with a felt finish.

I think he means the asphalt type of material not the felt.
Showed me some photos and it was like the material used on roads.

You would typically use promenade tiles on asphalt too. They sit on the asphalt (or felt), allow drainage to continue unhindered beneath and protect the surface from chair legs etc etc.

Sponsored Links
I think he means the asphalt type of material not the felt.
Showed me some photos and it was like the material used on roads.
that'll be Tarmac - ree's favourite ;)

Any recommended suppliers. I've seen a couple of suppliers, Castle and Permaroof. They don't have any retailers near me unfortunately.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back