Slate floor of balcony leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
first time poster. I hope someone can help.
I have a balcony outside my bedroom. Beneath is an area where we use a table and chairs to eat or just sit.
The balcony started leaking and rotting so we had it replaced. We went for a riven slate tile. The builders replaced the chipboard floor of the balcony, used a decking balustrade and tiled the floor with the slate tiles we chose.
They used external adhesive and grout and have sealed around the bottom of the posts of the balustrade. However, the Welsh winter is coming in and there is water coming through the uPVC tongue and groove lining the ceiling of the balcony.
i have even tried to regroutting the tiles as there were a few cracks and i thought that might be it but it's still coming.
any suggestions? Has something been missed in the first place?
cheers all
Kev.

Sponsored Links
Grout isn't normally waterproof.

If you don't want water penetration then you need to treat it like a flat roof and seal it before you tile.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back