Laying slate tiles, advice needed please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need an advice on laying slate tiles please?

I have ordered honed slate tiles coz I loved the look and feel of them. Now having read some bits on Internet I have found out I need to seal them, which isn't a problem at all, however we are a little shy on time. The Tiler is intending to do everything in one day (kitchen only small).

Now comes the big question - what is the sequence of events during tiling with approximate dates? Eg. Lay the floor first and let it dry before grouting? (for how long?) do the tiles need to be sealed prior to grouting? Can I seal the tiles myself before the Tiler gets in (say a say or 2 in advAnce)? What happens if the tiles are not sealed?

Thank you in advance everyone :)
(btw im a girl and have no idea about dyi ;) so would be really greateful for detailed replies) I know you are gonna say my Tiler should know everything but I like to be in the know)

Sponsored Links
Just as important is what is your floor made if, what are your walls made of, how heavy are your tiles & what prep & materials is your tiler using? If the tiles are porous, there is a risk of staining without sealing, the prep isn’t correct & the wrong adhesive is used. Your tiler should also be taking acount & advising, does he even know what tiles you have? if not then I don't see how he can possibly ensure he has/uses the right materials for the job!

You say the kitchen isn’t big but how big is it? If it’s the same size as a small downstairs loo then OK but if he’s doing both the walls & floor in even a small kitchen in one day, I’d be concerned; how did you pick your tiler?

Thanks Richard. Floor is concrete and Walls are brick. Not sure how heavy the tiles are, and also I thought all slate tiles are porous and require sealing? I asked coz read on Internet that sealing is advantage but not always deemed nessessary. I already bought an undercoat sealer and also a top coat one. Tiler is a friend, not sure he knows about tiles being slate but he will find out today.

For the sake of protecting tiles, do you think it will be of advantage if I seal them prior to laying?

Floor is concrete and Walls are brick. Not sure how heavy the tiles are,
The weight is very important! The walls may be brick but if they are plastered then there is a maximum weight limit. Plaster in good condition will take only 20 kg/sqm, including >4 kg/sqm for adhesive & grout. Allowing a small safety factor, if your tiles weigh in at more than around 18 kg/sqm, they are too heavy & you should upgrade the tile base; the tile bond to the wall will only ever be as good as what you’re sticking them to! For floors & if tiles are thicker than 8mm (or larger than around 250mm), use a quality trade powder cement adhesive only, not tub mix. Plaster must be acrylic primed to avoid a reaction between the cement & gypsum in the plaster.

Slate (& most natural stone) tiles are porous & sealing is advised both before laying & again before grouting to avoid bleed through staining the tiles; if in doubt do a porosity test. Some tiles come pre-sealed so check. Don’t use contrasting colour adhesive & avoid extreme contrasting grout colours for the same reason.

I’m sure your friend will be impressed you’ve bought riven slate tiles & not told him :LOL: ; I also hope he knows what he’s doing & can actually lay tiles! ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks Richard, what a gem you are, giving so much info. The slate tiles only go on the floor, the wall tiles are plain ceramic. Not worried about Walls.

Will have to get in touch with a Tiler now, will be a real shame if he starts getting upset about laying slate, as they do look utterly amazing(( I will be very reluctant to switch to other ones(( but there is timing and money to be taken into account so something will have to give((

If it’s just the floor then you should be OK but large ceramic tiles over 8mm thick can exceed the weight limit for plaster!

Don’t get me wrong, natural riven slate looks brilliant but needs extra care in prep & laying but as long as the tile base is good & your tiler knows what he’s doing it will be fine. Keep those tiles cleaned & re-sealed on regular basis to keep them looking good. ;)

Hey Richard, after loooooong consideration I have decided to go for the black porcelain ones. Too much hassle laying slate (they weren't riven, but honed), plus when I went to the shop again (diff branch of topps tiles) I notched there is a degree of variation in colour which I didn't like. My kitchen is very black and White and little rusty Patches on tiles kinda put me off. I still think they are amazing but maybe in the next kitchen)) or conservatory..

Thank you so much again, keep well :) lots of hugs coming your way for helping me make my decision

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back