Removing batons on first floor balcony

Why not just take the old board with the notches cut into it for the posts, measure the distances between the last board and the posts, minus 5mm, and then mark those distances on the new board, put the old board on the new one (notches aligned with the marks) and draw the outline of the old board on the new?

I did mention that you could have crept the gaps wider - perhaps gapping at 9mm would have given you the 40mm you need over the 12 boards you've laid and the last board would have landed adjacent the posts

ps; if the boards aren't fixed down yet, re-gap them to take up the space and see how it looks: place the last board next to the post, the first board where it should go and measure the clear distance between the sides of the he between them. Divide that by the width of a board to get the number of boards that fit the gap, and take the part of the number after the decimal point; that's the fraction of the board width that needs to be evenly spread over the distance to create gaps. Multiply the decimal bit by the board width and divide it by the number of boards plus one

Example:

The hole is 1055mm wide. A board is 100mm wide

1055 divided by 100 is 10.55. The hole needs 10 boards and .55 is spread out for the gaps

.55 multiplied by 100mm is 55mm worth of gaps. 10 boards creates 11 gaps

55mm for gaps divided by 11 gaps is 5mm per gap

--

Example 2:

The hole is 882mm wide. A board is 100mm wide

882 / 100 = 8.82

8 boards, 9 gaps

Gaps total 0.82 of a board or 82mm

82mm divided by 9 is 9.11111.. so gap at 9mm. Over this small a number of boards you don't worry about the .1111.. but if you were laying hundreds of boards periodically you'd gap one at 10mm to keep on track

--

Example 3:

Hole is 1000mm

Exactly 10 boards in the gap

Take it down by one board, so we have 9 boards and 10 gaps. The gaps total 100mm, and there are 10 of them, so gap at 10mm

---

All this same gapping rule can be followed if you decided to notch the last board around the posts, however the customer wants it to look, and then you follow the process of measuring the hole, finding out the number of boards that go in it, finding the remainder given over to gap and dividing it up

In terms of actually installing a gap, it is better to work out the measures your boards should be at rather than measuring 5mm off the edge of each board.

This means if you've decided your gap should be 5mm and your boards are supposedly 100mm then your board edges should land at:

105, 219, 315, 420, 525, 630 ....

You should measure and mark those on the battens, then lay the boards so the edges line up

If half your boards are 99mm and you use a 5mm spacer to space off the last board when installing the next one you land 5mm short after 10 boards meaning the gap on the last one of visually (obviously) twice the size of the others.. Laying to a measure prevents that. If you have any boards that are really wacky sizes, better to adjust the measure to take account of those

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sand and treat the rusting on the steel joists.

Blup

For the uneven boards, use a circular saw in situ against a batten, or use a belt sander, I've found the file sanders take off quite a lot of material.

Treat the sawn ends of the decking

Broadfix produce structurally tested plastic shims if you look at their website

Blup

I'll cut in last board using template then make the gaps even back to wall. Sound good? Probably 10mm gaps

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't go too big it will look a bit crap especially in the height of the summer when the boards are really dry. Do they ever use it for parties/is there a chance there'll be high heels used on it? But then I'd have thought about that before I bought the boards.

I guess you didn't get round to "put decking oil on new decking before it's put in place on the balcony", then?

Did you get any pictures of the steel joists when all the timber was removed? I could be wrong, but some of them don't look too clever. Eg this one looks like more than just surface corrosion:
1681831551295.png

They're a little wide 12mm-18mm it was either that or butt them up or rip a piece and put self tappers on it for front section.

Putting on oil tomorrow
20230418_164452.jpg
20230418_164449.jpg
20230418_163109.jpg
20230418_164254.jpg
20230418_163100.jpg

They're a little wide 12mm-18mm
I'm not sure how that figures, mathematically. If the gaps are 18mm wide and there are 9 or 10 of them then it's more than the 100mm of a single board, so they can be re-spaced to fit the extra board and come down to 8 or so mm

There should never need be a case where gaps are larger than about 10mm with 10 boards at 100mm each. If gaps are larger than 10 mm they can be closed up and a new board put in the space created

Those gaps in the pic don't look like a fifth of a board width so I'm not sure how they're 18mm?

--

Personally I would have used two screws whenever a board was fastened to a joist (about an inch in from each edge of the board) and I'd have put the screws in the bottom of a groove.. But a man on a galloping horse wouldn't notice

Last edited:
I'm not sure how that figures, mathematically. If the gaps are 18mm wide and there are 9 or 10 of them then it's more than the 100mm of a single board, so they can be re-spaced to fit the extra board and come down to 8 or so mm

There should never need be a case where gaps are larger than about 10mm with 10 boards at 100mm each. If gaps are larger than 10 mm they can be closed up and a new board put in the space created

Those gaps in the pic don't look like a fifth of a board width so I'm not sure how they're 18mm?

--

Personally I would have used two screws whenever a board was fastened to a joist (about an inch in from each edge of the board) and I'd have put the screws in the bottom of a groove.. But a man on a galloping horse wouldn't notice
Sorry 12cm wide boards not 100mm.

Regarding gaps, shall I just butt them up with no gaps or rip a piece on front with self tappers and have 5mm gaps or just leave it?

Currently Gaps vary 10mm to 18mm . 18mm absolute widest

Last edited:
What is this distance, in mm:

1681882350814.png

(The inner edges of the outermost boards)

18mm far too wide, ladies with heels will break their ankles. 6mm better for expansion and the inevitable curve in the deck boards.

Blup

OMG! Why on earth would the gaps vary? They should all be the same for goodness sake give or take a mm here or there and 18mm is absolutely ridiculous.

No ****s given as to the fact the steel needed some attention before the new battens were fixed down.
No gap between the first board and the render by the looks.
Wrongly spaced deck boards.
Only one screw into the battens and I bet they weren't countersunk neatly.
I bet the screw holes don't line up.
The board ends look like they don't align and one of the board ends looks like its warped.
Boards should have all been coated prior to fitting.
I bet the cuts around the posts are a dogs dick too.

Disgraceful, I hope they refuse to pay you frankly.

In a few days we'll have some thread on here about 'their decking nightmare'.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back