Replacing decking on a balcony

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got some rotten decking on a balcony that needs replacing. Is it best to smash it out and work off a small tower; sticking head through the metal joists to work? It's about 3 metres up.

There's baton attached to the top of the metal joists and decking running on top of it. I was going to exchange like for like.

Any fire regs to worry about about is it worth putting something between joists incase someone falls through decking between them? Or is that over worrying?
20200930_094905.jpg
20200930_094854.jpg
20200930_094839.jpg
20200930_094450.jpg

Sponsored Links
Worrying, if your asking if there are any fire regs to consider, my opinion is, if you're charging for the work, and you dont know, you shouldnt be doing it.

Doesn't look rotten just needs a good clean and clear wax treatment people think decking is maintance free when not
But if you want too replace do it with solid composite deck replace batterns with composite too then just clean once a month an tower fine if ya don't like heights

Sponsored Links
Doesn't look rotten just needs a good clean and clear wax treatment people think decking is maintance free when not
But if you want too replace do it with solid composite deck replace batterns with composite too then just clean once a month an tower fine if ya don't like heights

It's definitely rotten in one place. I could push my finger almost right through. I suppose could replace just that piece.

I guess composite would be ok with fire regs too.

Out of interest couldn't anyone actually fall through metal joists if the decking was totally rotten?

Last edited:
Yes they could- if the wood was totally rotten. However it would generally rot at different rates and feel unsafe before dropping someone right through.
Decking is pretty cheap so I would be tempted to replace it all if doing more than a tiny bit.
It will all look the same.

You could safely lift two and refit one, lift another and repeat.
Possibly give the new boards a bloody good treatment while still on the ground to help them last

20201001_150952.jpg
Yes they could- if the wood was totally rotten. However it would generally rot at different rates and feel unsafe before dropping someone right through.
Decking is pretty cheap so I would be tempted to replace it all if doing more than a tiny bit.
It will all look the same.

You could safely lift two and refit one, lift another and repeat.
Possibly give the new boards a bloody good treatment while still on the ground to help them last
One problem with lifting just two boards at a time. There's a piece of baton running along the top of all the metal joists so I would want to replace that as well . And to do so, I'd need to remove all the boards first

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back