Concrete garage roof repair (also used as balcony)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a garage attached to the rear of our house. The roof is used as a balcony. The garage is brick built with a concrete slab roof.

Since we bought the house last year, the garage gets wet on the inside of the walls. I'm pretty sure it's the roof that's leaking but i'm not sure what the covering is on the roof - i've attached some pictures if anyone can help.

So, how do I seal the roof bearing in mind it's used as a balcony so needs to look tidy and be able to be walked on. Also, do i need to remove the covering that's already on there.

Cheers

Rob

Sponsored Links
It looks like some kind of asphaltic coating but judging by the exposed timber and the gap between it and the mastic I would say that should be the first thing to remedy.

Hi,

So, how do I seal the roof bearing in mind it's used as a balcony so needs to look tidy and be able to be walked on. Also, do i need to remove the covering that's already on there.

Cheers

Rob

]
DIY job - use some Acrypol and cover with a Diy decking :idea: - Contractor have it re done and Promenade Tiles fixed

The surface does not seem that bad, in which case check the edges and upstands

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies on this.

I've decided to remove the brickwork from around the edge of the balcony/roof, seal the roof using the liquid sealent that you paint on and cover with desking and balustrade.

So, a couple more questions:

If I drill hole in to the concrete to fix the decking base, will this cause leaks?

What's the best way to get any water to drain off the roof - water will be held in the decking base I guess? I could raise the base on paving slabs but would rather not as it may make the decking too high and create a large step up from the house.

Thanks,
Rob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back