First Floor Balcony Over an Extension With Felt Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can someone help with this :

I want to build a 1st floor balcony going out of the kitchen at the back of the flat ... below on the ground floor is a large extension with a felt roof that I hope would support the balcony.

I don't know how you would go about creating a load bearing structure to put the balcony floor and rail on ... the extension seems loadbearing - we often walk on it - and the rhs of the balcony could sit on a brick wall that is part of the extension below - so there is support on that side. On the lhs there is an RSJ below in the extension which bridges the extension. On the near side the wall outside of the kitchen can be used to secure the balcony.

Anyway I don't know if the best way would be to cut into the felt, create load bearing piers through it - on the rhs over the brick wall - on the lhs over the rsj. Then felt up the piers making them water tight, then laying a wood subframe on the piers or using steel for the subframe ??

Also as the balcony would be on top of the felt roof, if there were any leaks it would make access difficult, so perhaps convering the felt with a durable material before putting the balcony on would be good ?

Any help would be great

Cheers

Sponsored Links
If a flat do you have the landlords permission?

Secondly, you might find that the required planning permission will be very hard to get. Planners do not like verandas or balconies for some odd reason

And you are presumably aware of the b/regs requirement or the roof, cover, and ballustrading?

Generally you would fit some promenade tiles (google) or a timber deck. The rain will drain through this onto the roof cover as normal. Then you will fix the ballustrade around the edge

I don't know what you are thinking of with cutting into the roof for brick piers etc :confused:

I do have the landlords permission - I am meeting the planning dept on Monday and see what they say.

I am not keen on fixing tiles or timber straight onto the roof - I was thinking of creating a subframe and putting the deck and balustrade on it. The piers would fix the subframe onto loadbearing points below (the brick wall on rhs, the rsj on lhs, the wall outside the kitchen).

The cutting through the felt is so that the piers are connected directly to the loadbearing wall and rsj below - rather than just 'resting' the whole thing on the roof.

But ... I have zero experience which is why I am asking.

Even IF you get planning permission you will very likely need to add a fair bit of structure to make what is currently a roof into a floor, you’ll also need to add allsorts at the eaves to fix a handrail to, either the ceiling below will need to come down or the roof finish will need to come off, I’ve done a few of these before, they’re a nightmare, the final finish be it decking or slabs can just sit there but this is the least of your worries!

Sponsored Links
Hi. I would still like advice on how to connect the deck to the felt roof below - here's a picture. Some people seem to be saying that I can just lay tiles on it ... but this doesn't sound a long terms solution ... won't the felt get damaged and cause leaks below ?

I was more thinking that a subframe resting on the walls of the extension below was needed - and in order to ensure a good contact between the subframe and the walls below I might need to cut through the roof and create piers that are connected to the walls directly - and rest the subframe on the piers... any advice please ?

I would still like advice on how to connect the deck to the felt roof below
As mentioned previously for some reason you seem to be obsessed with the final finish when this is the least of your worries?
Generally you would fit some promenade tiles (google) or a timber deck. The rain will drain through this onto the roof cover as normal.
Promenade tiles are generally glued to the felt with bitumen or the manufacturers own adhesive.
A timber deck will need to sit on a protective membrane but again this can sit there with only gravity holding it down.
Paving slabs can be placed on small adjustable plastic feet to allow the whole lot to be levelled dead flat, the feet would sit on a protective membrane again gravity is all that is needed to hold them down.
To build a supporting floor supported by only the walls on the perimeter of the roof is a very odd way to go around it. Not to mention that you'll end up with the finished deck level about 300mm higher than where it is now.

Thanks for the replies ...

It sounds easier than I had thought. I don't really understand how the roof below is structured although from walking around on it it seems solid.

I suppose I would need to get a structural engineer in to have a look at the structure and calculate what load it can take.

It sounds easier than I had thought. I don't really understand how the roof below is structured although from walking around on it it seems solid.
Err, did you actually read my first post? Anyhoo you will need an engineer who'll probably double up what's in there, the loads on a floor are much higher than those on a roof and he/you will need to be quite inovative where the balcony fitxes on round the edge.

Edit: is this a windup? :confused:

Pardon me if I am bumping this post, but my question is exactly the same, I would like to try and build a balcony or a patio above a ground floor extension, with decking as the floor seperated from the felt roof below, with a gap, floor joists supported across through the two side walls of the extension, which is a load bearing wall with proper foundations.

Now this is not for my own selfish interest, but I have had many tenants who move in my flat on 1st floor and end up leaving sooner as they don't have any use of the garden and have no other place for an outdoor activity, including this balcony can double as a fire escape.

My questions are:

Did the guy who started this thread ever finished this project?
Did he encounter any problems from Planning, building control?
Do I need the permission from the owner of the house below or do i need the permission of the Landlord....the owner below is a lease holder same as I am a lease holder, the landlord is a 3rd person who owns the lease rights.

thanks for anyone's input.

I am that guy - no, it's not done. I am now renting the place out so I have the same considerations as you about outside space.

I spoke to the planning dept and they advised that it might be a small balcony that would be given permission, possibly even just a juliette balcony (open doors but can't stand outside). And that I would need permission from the neighbours as it would overlook their sunbathing areas.

However recently some newbuild flats have been built at the top of the street and this does alter the precendents for this kind of structure. I think if I was going to pitch it to the planning people I would pitch a bigger balcony and be prepared to come down to 1/2 the size of the extension - away from the edge so it doesn't overlook it. However at the first floor level there is another problem which is that the neighbours bedroom could be looked into from the balcony.

In terms of construction, I think this has been answered better than me. I was quoted £5k - £7k by one company all in.

Thanks for your ever so quick reply, real problem I guess, a juliet balcony would serve no practical purpose.

Such as drying clothes outside, occasional BBQ, just relaxing on top of the balcony, and as a prime fire escape area.

As for overlooking into the neighbour's adjoining bedroom, this could be screened using some sort of screen, so that the occupants of the balcony can only see ahead and not into the neighbour's window, as for neighbours or people living below having a sunbath, one could still see them from the window of the room!

I might apply for an outline planning and see what reaction I get from the council.

Building wise, or construction wise, i can't see any problems, and prior to building it I might offer to refelt the roof for the downstairs owner at my cost to make it good for atleast 20 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back