Adding a roof to a balcony - Ballpark costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have an extension off the back of our house, which is 3.51m x 4.8m

The roof of this extension was created into a balcony, but with 6ft high side walls to meet privacy requirements of the planning application.

We've never used this balcony and would like to add a roof to it and make it into a bedroom.

The downstairs part of the extension is breezeblock internal with external brick. The upper walls are double skinned brick and are about 5 or 6 courses lower than the existing roof line of the rest of the house.

//media.diynot.com/139000_138815_20414_58463253_thumb.jpg

Hopefully the existing roofline can be extended out and tied in with the existing roof?

So my question is -

Can this be used to support the roof, or would the wall need to be taken down and built back up with a breezeblock internal wall?

Is it a fairly easy job and does the rule of £900-1000 per sqM still apply if it's only the roof and a few courses of bricks / new windows apply?

thanks in advance!!

Jon

Sponsored Links
It would very likely be structurally viable to build your new walls off the existing although this is not guaranteed. The £900-£1000/m2 guide would likely be overkill as you've no foundations to dig and lay although without seeing what kind of roof the house has and how it would adjoin again this is difficult to say for certain. Respectfully, your assertion that 'if it's only the roof and a few courses of bricks / new windows apply' is a bit naive. Planning Permission is another issue...................

Thanks for your reply.

I don't think it was naive, perhaps over simplified. I fully understand that it would be much more than a few more courses of bricks and an extension to the roofline :)

What I'm saying is that the side windows would be bricked up and a new window would be added to the end (where the balustrades are).

I'm making assumptions that the foundations would be suitable, considering they are already supporting the majority of the wall area.

The pitched roof would be a continuation of the existing roof outwards. The centreline of the roof would be the centre of where the balcony rail is (on picture).

It would be a continuation of the above style.

I don't foresee any problems with planning as the extension does not directly overlook any other properties and we're not in any protected areas.

Sounds good, foundations are probably ok, Building Control may want to see a trial pit dug to inspect them if the ground floor extension is not recent. The roof sounds perfect for extending so your assumption that is should be fairly simple is correct.

Sponsored Links
That's what I was hoping to hear!

So ballpark, would you say £500-£600 per sq/m roughly?

Many thanks

hehehe I'll be getting quotes, but just wanted an idea. even at the £900-1000 it's affordable, i'd just rather spend less (without impacting on quality of course)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back