Adding Roof Windows To Balcony At Front Of House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a balcony at the front of the house. This is on the first floor and I would like to increase the height of the brick wall and add a glass roof.

I do not see anything on the planning portal regarding bricking up a balcony and whether planning permission is needed

What should my starting point be here?!

Sponsored Links
It would be regarded as an extension on the front of the house and would need planning permission.

Can I increase the height of the balcony wall without permission? Can I replace bricks with glass?

When does it become an extension vs maintenance?

The permitted development rules don't talk about 'extensions' but use the term 'enlargement'. If you build up the balcony wall, it will constitute an enlargement forward of a wall
forming part of the front elevation, so would not be permitted development.
If you demolish the brick wall and replace it with glass, that would also require p.p. because it would be new work; demoltion of a building (or part of a building) and replacement by something else is not p.d.

Sponsored Links
You don't seem to have a balcony, rather a roof terrace. Alterations to these are defined within the PD guide.

But extending walls and adding a roof is an extension, or enlargement as defined in the PD guide, and would need permisison.

Extending the height of a ballustrade is alteration, as is changing it completely. This is not in the PD guide, and would therefore require permission.

Maintenance is repair or replacement of part of a component. Replacement of the whole is not maintenance, nor is putting something there that was not there before.

I m actually looking at the PD as follows - My point would be that the roof terrace is part of the house and would not be forward of the wall forming part of the wall

2. Any enlargement of a house involving a ground floor extension consisting of more than one storey (including any alteration to the roof) does not require planning permission unless:

(a) It would be within a conservation area; or
(b) Any part of the development would be within 10 metres of the boundary of the curtilage of the house; or
(c) As a result of the development, the height of the enlarged house would exceed the height of the existing house, when measured at the highest part of the roof (excluding any chimney); or
(d) The area of ground covered by the resulting house would be more than twice the area of ground covered by the original house; or
(e) The area of ground covered by the resulting development within the front or rear curtilage of the house (excluding the original house and any hard surface or decking area) would exceed 50% of the area of the front or rear curtilage respectively (again excluding the original house and any hard surface or decking); or
(f) Any part of the development would be forward of a wall forming part of the principal elevation or side elevation where that elevation fronts a road.

If you build anything on the house forward of any wall (whether that wall is at ground floor level or set back at first floor level) and that wall forms any part of the front elevation or a side elevation, and it fronts a highway, it needs planning permission.

If you build anything on the house forward of any wall (whether that wall is at ground floor level or set back at first floor level) and that wall forms any part of the front elevation or a side elevation, and it fronts a highway, it needs planning permission.

Thats my point - I am not building forward - The roof terrace / balcony is already there

I am simply building it higher !

Thats my point - I am not building forward - The roof terrace / balcony is already there

I am simply building it higher !
The point is, it's not building forward, but building forward of.

There's a difference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back