Advised planning permission not needed, Really?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello friendly people,

I'm hoping you can help me out with some advice...mostly for the peace of mind before any next steps.

We want to do a few updates to our bungalow, 1) Extend the current Windows at the front of our house, there are 2 windows about 2m wide each, 1 of them runs nearly floor to ceiling whilst the other is around 70%. 2) Extend the balcony (stone built) with a wood patio about 2.5m out and 6m to the left.

I've spoken to a builder (briefly) and he has advised I dont need planning permission to remove these windows and replace with bi-folding patio glass doors as the current large windows are already there and as this is an old single story flat roof extension with nothing above there is additional support required beams wise.
Also similar to the above, there is an existing stone base balcony on the right side (65cm above the garden - as the garden is lower than the ground floor), we want to extend as above but it would now also sit in front of the 2 windows area. SEE attached diagram and photo of the proposals.

Would the above 2 changes be ok under PD or planning required? Since they are both basically extending the current windows and balcony we are not sure and not getting a solid answer!

CHEERS for the help

DD

Attachments

• exterior back 1.jpg
    exterior back 1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 318
  • living room proposal v1.jpg
    living room proposal v1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 312
Sponsored Links
1. If the side extension was one which originaly required planning permission, then altering the windows would also require planning permission; if the extension was original to the house, then, no.
(But you still need Building Regulations approval because you are altering the thermal characteristics of the house).

2. The extension to the balcony would need planning permission as it would be more than 30cm above ground level.

To be permitted development, replacement windows should be of the same general appearance to the existing, and more importantly of the same size. And windows to doors are not PD.

Building regulations are always required for altering window opening sizes, and not FENSA or such like either.

Thank you so much for the advice, to clarify the extension was to the original house, it is a detached Bungalow nearer to the countryside....so only the backside has any neighbors and they are literally in other streets (+50m away) and as the Bungalow is on a hill we are already looking down on them with the existing windows/balcony.

I was advised replacing existing windows or doors of a domestic house, planning permission is not typically required (including going from window to door?).

Also - the current existing balcony connects to the garden at below 30cm at the point where it starts, so would extending this balcony as shown in the diagram not still keep the balcony as a whole under the 30cm rule? (So measuring from the highest garden position it is <30cm)?

This stuff is so confusing!

Sponsored Links
I was advised replacing existing windows or doors of a domestic house, planning permission is not typically required (including going from window to door?).
Yes ,but aren't you now being advised otherwise , so who do you believe :?::!:

Our planning permission included a specific condition to withdraw permitted right to add new windows later on the 1st floor side elevation. Apparently this is because by default you get that right, although it could have been just for clarity

Tut. Are you doubting the Internet? :cautious::rolleyes:
I was asking the original poster because they doubted the 'advice' given by their builder and then seemed to doubt the advice given on here by people trying to clarify the situation :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back