Planning permission for roof balcony?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I understand that the Government announced that planning regulations are to be relaxed in order to allow people to build bigger extensions without planning permission from 2013 for 3 yrs period. There's a property in our area having the dormer type conversion in the roof in which no neighbours from the surrounding area seen any letters for any objections as this may fit in under the new planning rules but they have a previous extension on ground floor and looks like there's is going to be a window and doorway leading onto the flat roof but not sure yet as the building is not complete. Do you need planning permission for a roof balcony? This will be a loss of privacy for many surrounding neighbours.

Sponsored Links
The dormer may well be permitted development but accessing the roof to use as a balcony is not. The doors at the rear should have a juliet guarding to prevent use of the roof (unless planning permission is given for use of the roof as a balcony (which should then have 1.1m high guarding)).

The neighbours will have to wait and see when building completed. I would've thought you must have planning permission for roof balcony because it's no difference if garden deckings is higher than 300mm from ground level therefore planning permission.

If no planning permission is needed, do the building inspector visit the site and check for building regulations?

Sponsored Links
The neighbours will have to wait and see when building completed.

Why wait that long? Go on your council website and search for the postcode, looking for a planning permission or application. If you find one, check it's being done to the stated plan. If you don't find one, go ask the guy what he's doing. If he tells you and you think it's not permitted development, point it out. If he tells you to **** off, contact the council and tell them you think someone is building a raised platform without permission. The council can put a stop to building works in the same way they can put a stop to the gypsies arriving and camping on the village green but it'll be too late to enforce the cease of building works if you wait 'til they're done!

As an example here's what north devon have to say about breaches of planning control : http://www.northdevon.gov.uk/index/...s/nonlgcl_planning_compliance_enforcement.htm

If no planning permission is needed, do the building inspector visit the site and check for building regulations?

It depends entirely on the requirement for whatever works being carried out to be regulated. It may be that none of the work you see going on is of any interest to building control

Planning = where and what is being built
Building control = how it's being built

Your query seems to be "what", not "how"

The neighbours will have to wait and see when building completed.

Why wait that long?
Doesn't really effect me as I can only see it across the road in front of my property, I'm helping the elderly neighbours to find out on their behalf

Go on your council website and search for the postcode, looking for a planning permission or application. If you find one, check it's being done to the stated plan.
I have and there isn't any plans online, so in theory if no planning permission is needed there should always be a drawing plan online?
If you don't find one, go ask the guy what he's doing. If he tells you and you think it's not permitted development, point it out. If he tells you to p**s off, contact the council and tell them you think someone is building a raised platform without permission. The council can put a stop to building works in the same way they can put a stop to the gypsies arriving and camping on the village green but it'll be too late to enforce the cease of building works if you wait 'til they're done!

As an example here's what north devon have to say about breaches of planning control : http://www.northdevon.gov.uk/index/...l_planning_compliance_enforcement.htm[/QUOTE]
Many thanks for your help as I didn't know this, I think the biggest problem is which can be confusing with this relax planning, if people thinks it's not permitted development then they'll go ahead with the building regulations

If there is no planning permission and the proposal falls outside of permitted development as it appears is the situation here then if you have concerns speak to the owner and/or to the Local Authority's planning department enforcement officer. The enforcement officers do not go and check all work being undertaken so rely on neighbours etc being their eyes and ears reporting anything of concern to them. They can then investigate and advise accordingly.

I have and there isn't any plans online, so in theory if no planning permission is needed there should always be a drawing plan online?
not necessarily, no..

Many thanks for your help as I didn't know this, I think the biggest problem is which can be confusing with this relax planning, if people thinks it's not permitted development then they'll go ahead with the building regulations

the relaxation only really applies to rear ground floor extensions in that they may be double the old size if its ok with the neighbours. It is not the case that planning has become a free for all and you can build anything

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back