Planning granted but with onerous restriction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had planning permission granted to build a wrap round extension to both sides and rear of a bungalow. Permission was also granted to raise the rear roof and fit hip ends and to install front pitched roof dormers. The original application included a rear dormer but this was changed to small roof lights otherwise the LPA said the application would be refused due to loss of neighbours privacy.

The planning permission states that the rear roof windows (Velux), which serve 2 bedrooms and landing, have to be permanently obscure glazed and none opening except where the 1.7 metre rule applies. When in discussions with the LPA over the rear dormer they told me that they could not insist on obscure glazing to bedroom windows except where they were in end elevations.

My concern is that without being able to open the roof lights there will be no possibility of having through ventilation in the bedrooms.

Can the LPA insist on obscure glazing to bedroom windows?
Can the LPA insist on the roof lights being none opening?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You can have mechanical ventilation.

The planners can condition what they like. You can appeal any condition.

Yes, if they feel otherwise it would be a detriment to the neighbour's amenity (privacy).

Pretty bonkers though because you could put huge dormer windows on the rear under permitted development so it might be worth appealing those conditions.

Sponsored Links
Sometimes the films used on the back of obscured glass just falls off after a bit.

I've had that before and opening restrictors which strangely disappeared after a while. Trouble is if the neighbour is strongly motivated to keep complaining.

They may be able to insist on buying a rooflight that doesn't open fully but you can buy rooflights that only open slightly (as opposed to an access hatch that fully opens) - allowing ventilation while still maintaining your neighbours privacy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back