Front Bay Window Planning Permission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have just purchased a house and the front lounge window is completely made of glass as pictured below.

We want to replace this with a bay window and have been told buy the people we got a quote from that "No need for planning permission as we are not widening the window only changing the shape."

Is this correct? Or should I go back to them and ask for planning permission? We also are not extending the window out to gain any internal space. We just want a nice window with a large sill. The interior wall should be almost flat.

Thanks,

5248fcc8729c50ac6a4110db0d6a302a775a937b.jpg

Sponsored Links
I think you need permission for this as they're classed as extensions.

More experienced members will be here soon but from my own experience and from guidance on a few planning sites, those are the rules.

It's a projection forward of the main house elevation, and so strictly needs planning permission, and is not permitted development.

Sponsored Links
It is not permitted development if:

"A(1)(e) the enlarged part of the dwellinghouse would extend beyond a wall which -

(i) forms the principal elevation of the original dwellinghouse; or
(ii) fronts a highway and forms a side elevation of the original dwellinghouse"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back