Planning permission to add window?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would I need planning permission to add window to the front of my house?

Just had a loft conversion done so lost part of a bedroom where the window is to gain a corridor to the loft stairs.

We do have a window at the far end to side of the house that lets light in but its quite small.

We would lie to add a window at the other end which is the front of the house

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a design fail to me, was this loft conversion done with Building Control supervision? Is the small window you still have large enough to be used as an emergency exit?

Anyway, long as you're not in a conservation area and you have PD rights still then you usually don't need pp. The new window should be similar to existing in design and has to comply with regs in terms of thermal performance, glass type and means of escape (if it is the only usable escape window in the room)

To the front, yes.

Sometimes a side extension means blocking up a window and creating a new window on the front. But the look of the house with the new window is on the plan for planning to approve it.

Sometimes, like yours, the only placement of the extra staircase steals the space off a bedroom and thus the bedroom loses the window.

Installing an obscured glass window on the side doesn't need planning.

The lintel and window needs building regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back