New window on front of house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm thinking of installing a new window on first floor landing to give this area some natural light. This will be a new window and will be on the front of the house directly above the front door and in between two existing bedroom windows.

Do I need planning permission for this ?

Also, the bathroom at the rear of the house doesn't currently have a window so thinking about doing the same here but with obscured glass. Again, do I need planning permission ?.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
No planning permission unless you are in an Article 4 area restricting changes, or it's a listed building.

Assuming that it's a flat velux window that's similar material to the existing house.

Rear windows don't have to be obscured, only side facing windows.

No planning permission unless you are in an Article 4 area restricting changes, or it's a listed building.

Assuming that it's a flat velux window that's similar material to the existing house.

Rear windows don't have to be obscured, only side facing windows.

Thank you. Yes, all new windows will be in keeping with the existing ones. I want obscured glass on the new rear window as it's in the bathroom :)

Sponsored Links
Thank you. Yes, all new windows will be in keeping with the existing ones. I want obscured glass on the new rear window as it's in the bathroom :)
Re: Obscure glass - A local window firm I used suggested a "sandblasted " type of glass in the sealed units, because I overlook next door closely. It cost me £100 more than obscured but it's brilliant. Imagine a ground glass effect - totally obscure so you don't need blinds - you literally can't see anything- even right outside ( I checked ) with the light on. Worked a treat in my bungalow (y)

Re: Obscure glass - A local window firm I used suggested a "sandblasted " type of glass in the sealed units, because I overlook next door closely. It cost me £100 more than obscured but it's brilliant. Imagine a ground glass effect - totally obscure so you don't need blinds - you literally can't see anything- even right outside ( I checked ) with the light on. Worked a treat in my bungalow (y)
Did you need any planning permission for the window that overlooks the neighbour? Did you cut in a new window in this case? Can this window have any openings?
I am planning something similar and would appreciate your advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back