Creating a side window opening in an existing wall (planning approval reqd?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My existing planning permission approval for an extension and various other internal works on the house stipulates that "Notwithstanding the provisions of Article 3 of the Town and Country PLanning GPD Order, no window on any flank elevation of the extension hereby approved shall be installed without the prior written permission of the council"

We build a new utility room extension behind the existing room which will now become a playroom. This room currently has no side windows and we are bricking up what was the rear external window wall (except for a door way) that now connects to the utility area. To let in more light we are thinking of creating an opening in the side wall which will face the neighbour fence which will only be some 0.5m away.

Do we technically need planning approval for this given that the above text refers to no new windows in an extension, which this is not? The neighbouring fence is some 5-6ft high. We were planning to use obscure glass and only have a top opener anyway.

Sponsored Links
If it is in the existing house then you can add a side window under permitted development, as long as the rights haven't been withdrawn. You will need building regs, though.

I'm confused. Can we see a drawing? Otherwise, as it says, you can insert a new window within the existing house but will need written permission of the council to provide one within the extension.

Sponsored Links
You can put a window in the playroom. If the Planning Permission suspends your further PD rights (although I don't think it does), then you should do this BEFORE commencing the extension!

Hi

The outer walls of the extension have been built already and roof is going up.

Our PD rights have not been removed.

Last edited:
What are the height and opening requirements to meet building regs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back