No prior approval, what are the risks?

If the extension requires an application, and in the assessment its found to breach local policies (45° rule is common) then it will be refused.

Sponsored Links
hmmm... choices. is it likely they'll "look" for my extension if none of the neighbours complain? I know for a fact they won't because I'm building my extension is such a way as to accommodate the neighbour who will soon build a similar extension. we agreed this in writing.

should I just apply for prior approval and start works in the meanwhile? is there a rule that forbids me from doing that once I applied?

hmmm... choices. is it likely they'll "look" for my extension if none of the neighbours complain? I know for a fact they won't because I'm building my extension is such a way as to accommodate the neighbour who will soon build a similar extension. we agreed this in writing.

should I just apply for prior approval and start works in the meanwhile? is there a rule that forbids me from doing that once I applied?
Councils use annual aerial mapping to automatically detect new development as this can impact things like council tax revenue and business rates

Sponsored Links
I submitted an application through the planning portal, I'm expecting both neighbours (luckily there's only two of them) to not object at all, as we already covered the project and they were happy with it. I'll keep you posted, thanks for all the advice.

The funny thing is, I was planning to apply a while back, I even found my draft application in my account. I was probably too busy with other things and I completely forgot to send it off.

If neighbours only get 21 days to object, what's the 42 days period all about?

PS: I just checked my local authority's planning guidance and even in the case of a full application, they will have no reason to reject. for ground floor extensions, the 45 degree rule becomes 60 degrees, which is super safe for the size I'm building. height at eaves is 2.8m, overall height around 3.5m, so well within the limits of permitted development.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back