No prior approval, what are the risks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just realised we’re about to start works in a week or two and we have a terraced house, but our extension is 4m deep.

Building control is ok with our application (building notice), neighbour is ok with the works proposed (party wall), thames water is ok with the drainage (build over agreement).

How much trouble am I in without the prior approval? For the record, we currently have a shed that extends 3.4m behind the house, this will be demolished and replaced by a slightly larger extension, so the neighbour will have about 60cm extra wall on that side. This is far away from the imaginary 45 degree line from his closest window.

1. Will building control sign this off without prior approval, if everything else is ok?
2. It says online that prior approval can’t be obtained retrospectively, why is this? Planning application can be.

What’s the worst case scenario? Will a full planning permission application do if it comes to anyone complaining?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Will building control sign this off without prior approval, if everything else is ok?
planning and building control are different departments.

It says online that prior approval can’t be obtained retrospectively, why is this?
I guess because its a neighbour consultation scheme, there isnt much consultation after its built!!

planning and building control are different departments.

I guess because its a neighbour consultation scheme, there isnt much consultation after its built!!

Thanks a lot. I guess you’re right, planning and building control are indeed separate.

As for the second part, I’m not concerned the council will make me apply for a full planning application SHOULD they decide to enforce (extremely unlikely, both neighbours are onboard with my project). I would hate being made to demolish the extension for a technicality.

Sponsored Links
It's actually more .... four years after you complete the work.

That's the statutory period the council have to find out and enforce.

Say they do enforce it during those 4 years, what is likely to happen?

Is it wiser to consult the neighbours first and delay the works?

Say they do enforce it during those 4 years, what is likely to happen?

Is it wiser to consult the neighbours first and delay the works?
There'd probably be a demand for you to make a planning application, it would be wise to delay the works.

If a planning application is the worst that can happen, I’m ok with the risk. There’s no reason why the full application wouldn’t be approved.

What if I apply for prior approval before starting the works?

Why not just apply for prior approval and delay the build. its typically 6 weeks wait and reduces your risk and stress down for the sake of a little wait. Plus how sure are you that you are following the PD rules.

No the worse case is you apply for planning and its refused
Imm happy to take that risk, there’s literally no reason it could be refused. It’s the most simple, rectangular rear extension that exists. It’s also small (in all aspects, it doesn’t interfere with the neighbour’s right to light or privacy and so on.

Why not just apply for prior approval and delay the build. its typically 6 weeks wait and reduces your risk and stress down for the sake of a little wait. Plus how sure are you that you are following the PD rules.
Inwouldn’t normally mind, but it’s extremely difficult to get a builder nowadays and if I wait 6 weeks, we’re looking at building in the winter, which is a no no. That means delaying until spring, materials are going through the roof by the hour.

I could of course stick to 3m instead…

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back