Planning permission for Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Neighbour has applied for planning permission to add a mansard roof extension to his existing 14.2 metre long double garage and summer house. The flank of the existing building is also on the border of our properties with garden walls and fences to the front and rear. It is currently 2.9 metres high. The mansard roof ridge line will take the overall height of the construction to 7.2 metres. It will be 11.5 meters in length with a balcony handrail surrounding the front 2.7 metres. His application states that this is a decorative feature only and that no access to it will be incorporated – only a window. At the rear there will be a window which will be at the upper floor level and overlook our garden from a distance of approx. 2 metres.

The structure is 6 metres from our property.

It will be visible from a number of windows. 1 ground floor lounge window will be partially affected. More notably, the only 2 window in a habitable bedroom/annex on the upper floor with extensive garden and views over fields will be totally obscured, being replaced with effectively a green slate mansard roof.

It appears that the intention is to construct the mansard because planning rules do not allow 2 story flat roof extensions. From our perspective however, the roof will have the same visual impact as a vertical brick wall – just a different colour.

The local authority planning officer is visiting to check things from our perspective.

Does anyone with experience of similar developments have any views on the probability of this proposal being granted, or are there any specific planning rules that can be applied to rejected it?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If the proposal conforms to local planning policy, then it must be approved

The effect on your amenity will be assessed, and you can comment on it, but only comments on planning issues will be valid - things like "I don't like it" will be ignored

If the proposal conforms to local planning policy, then it must be approved

Just because it conforms with planning policy does not mean it will necessarily be approved.

Each application is considered on its own merits and with regard to its local impact!

Tony

No, if the proposal conforms to the local policy, then there are no valid reasons for not approving it, and if permission is refused, then the proposal will be allowed on appeal.

The local policy must specify the criteria which planning applications will be assessed against - ie what is required. There will always be some subjectivity in determining impact, but that will not affect policy

thanks for the above. I have studied the local development policies and plans and will be drafting a detailed objection quoting, where appropriate, the relevant policies. There are some interesting aspects I was not aware of, such as our properties being within a designated area of High Landscape Value outside the settlement limits of the town and also that we overlook designated Nature Conservation site, the view to which will be removed by the neighbour's plan. There has been previous site development which may also have to be considered. All in all I have identified 7 specific areas of policy which appear to be conflicted to a greater or lesser extent, so I'll document everything carefully and hope for the best.

No, if the proposal conforms to the local policy, then there are no valid reasons for not approving it, and if permission is refused, then the proposal will be allowed on appeal.

My application had no valid reasons to refuse it but it was still refused!

However, it was approved on appeal !

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back