Why?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've seen several threads here regarding fake/plastic grass and after reading of a request made by Swindon parish council - https://twitter.com/SwindonNCent/status/1521736320988725250
for people to stop asking them to remove trees because leaves and branches were spoiling the pristine green of their fake lawns, decided to ask: are you winding me up?
The sales of plastic lawns went up by 20% during lockdowns (according to supplier, Easigrass) and have a really bad effect on the environment. But even with more time on their hands people still chose to buy a plastic lawn thinking it would save time and still look good in winter, never mind the threat plastic is posing to the world around us.

'Cut down the trees because they're spoiling my plastic lawn.'

Madness.

Stop treating your garden as an extension of your living room.

Even if it means putting down a layer of weed matting with chippings over it, planting in pots and being more creative with how much grass you really need in a garden...or planting a herb lawn with chamomile or moss which require little attention to thrive in the right conditions.

At least, think about it.

It's been less than six months since Cop26 in Glasgow and since Russia decided to start throwing its weight around everyone appears to have forgotten all the pledges and promises made during that conference.

Sponsored Links
Hear hear!

I'm not a fan of the stuff myself. I think a lot of it comes down to people not wanting to put the time into things and wanting instant results.

This will be the third summer since I really took up gardening and it's finally getting towards the lower maintenance and looking decent end of things.

I guess everyone is different with their priorities but a lot don't have the staying power to diligently mow, water, weed etc. They see something on social media and ooh want it, lots of fake grass rubbish on instasham.

Same with cooking and many other things, no delayed gratification just instant fakery.

Whenever I see this fake grass stuff, I just think "outdoor carpet". I find it hard to believe that hoovering the fake grass occasionally is much less work than mowing real grass occasionally.

I keep my lawn so the grandkids can play on some real grass. Their mum and dad have fake stuff.

Sponsored Links
I think it has its uses. I have a strip of fake grass along the back of my house, just 2m deep, bought for £140. It's been there 4 years now, and apart from picking a few things up I didn't want the puppy to eat, never been cleaned. Very handy, lots cheaper than a stone patio. The main lawn is neglected though, although has been cut twice this year, not bad for me!

Handy to have a clean area all year round too. Fence for the not-at-all smelly puppy.

IMG_20220314_110813122_HDR (1).jpg

Main lawn, less tidy, more fun

IMG_20220426_164034049.jpg

I think Fake Grass is fantastic. I have as carpet inside my conservatory.

that sounds like a great way to use it. Bring the outside in, but not all of it at once.

I think it has its uses. I have a strip of fake grass along the back of my house, just 2m deep, bought for £140. It's been there 4 years now, and apart from picking a few things up I didn't want the puppy to eat, never been cleaned. Very handy, lots cheaper than a stone patio. The main lawn is neglected though, although has been cut twice this year, not bad for me!

Handy to have a clean area all year round too. Fence for the not-at-all smelly puppy.

Yes, it has a use and for a patch used regularly it helps to maintain a small area without fuss. And nothing kills a lawn as quick as dog pee.
Plastic grass has also found a use for five-a-side pitches in urban areas, and for balconies as a kind of carpeting - i've even seen it stuck on the side of a van used by landscapers...but for all that's holy don't rip up your lawns and lay this stuff down just for the sake of convenience.

I agree. Some people just don't do nature. I know a very strange woman, who is all holistic, spiritual and acts like she loves nature, but has nothing alive in her garden. Artificial grass, white washed fences, fake plants. Weird.

I do know a guy who installed fake grass across the whole relatively large lawn. But he ran a business and had 3 kids, so no time to look after the lawn. He didn't chop trees down though. He did moan about cat and bird poo though, seemed more obvious on fake grass

I agree. Some people just don't do nature. I know a very strange woman, who is all holistic, spiritual and acts like she loves nature, but has nothing alive in her garden. Artificial grass, white washed fences, fake plants. Weird.

There's a garden in Ashbourne which is stuffed full of ornaments - gnomes, little windmills, ceramic toadstools that sort of thing. Sounds hideous, you'd think, but in summer the flowers and plants along the winding pathway are a pallette of colours, climbers like clematis and a big wisteria drape across the front of the cottage. Beautifully maintained...and not a blade of grass in sight.
Their back garden has a small, immaculately cut swathe of grass that compliments the pond, but that's all they need.
And yes, i am green with envy.:mrgreen::mrgreen:

I do know a guy who installed fake grass across the whole relatively large lawn. But he ran a business and had 3 kids, so no time to look after the lawn. He didn't chop trees down though. He did moan about cat and bird poo though, seemed more obvious on fake grass

There's always time to mow a lawn. It doesn't take that long.
Alternately, pay a handsome chap to do it. His wife would thank him, i'm sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back