Wickes Halstead 102 combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need urgent advice with regard to this boiler.
The situation is this, the boiler was already installed when I moved into the property. I had a corgi reg guy complete a service or maintenance check on it in Jan 04. I have not had it serviced since.

The problem I have is that about a few months ago, the hot water was palying up.

Prior to the problem, when the hot tap was turned on the burner/ignition would fire up and instant hot water would flow without even turning the hot tap open full.

A few months ago, i noticed that I would have to turn just the hot tap on and open full to get hot water. Shortly after that the hot water would fluctuate hot and cold. Then increasingly flow cold more often than hot. So I noticed that the heating pressure syestem dispaly showed 1 and less than 1 Bar. I turned the black water flow knob and there was a sort of release noise and the pressure Bar went up to 2 and just below 2. The hot water problem was solved and hot water flowed fine...up til now...

For the past few days, same problem, fluctuating hot to cold water when hot tap on full. When hot tap is turned on, I hear the bolier ignite and water starts after 10 secs running hot then i hear the burner/ignition turn off and after a few secs water runs cold...then after few or 6-10 secs burner ignites again and few secs later water runs hot and then again turns off and water runs cold and so on.....

On Sat, when i turned on hot tap for a period of time the boiler made quite loud banging juddering noises and the CH pressure system display went mental flicking about back and forth and then the whole system packed up and locked out. I then had no heating nor hot water. I managed to reset from the underside of the panel casing to reignite and get heating working but everytime i turned hot tap on it would make loud noises and the Bar dial went mental and it would lock down. I reset again and have heating but no sustainable amount of hot water.

I am distressed without hot water and do not know what is wrong with the system....the heating is fine....it is just the hot water.

Can somebody please help a damsel in distress as to what the actual problem could be and how to fix it please please please.......awaiting for hot water in anticipation.......
Thanks for reading!

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if the diverter valve has failed and the secondary heat exchanger may be blocked as well.

The easiest way to get it fixed is to call a competent boiler engineer.

Tony

hi it sounds like the system has a load of sludge in and has caused the plate heat exchanger to block up on the water side of the boiler,, the banging was prob the pump sticking because of all the rubbish in the system, and seems to have cleared it temp , the diaphram in the diverter valve could be faulty as well, but i would go for the plate heat exchanger its not a D I Y job, and will need to be replaced , but if you do not flush out the system you will be having the same probs within 4/5 months again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back