Wickes One Coat Plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Anyone used Wickes One Coat plaster ?

I came across a review somewhere the other day that said it was good stuff. Supposedly it has a slower setting time than multi finish, which for someone like me who is just getting to grips with plastering sounds pretty good.

Any thoughts ?

Sponsored Links
I used to use "One coat plaster"(Thistle) years ago. We used to scratch the wall first and when set put the one coat on and bring it out to a finish.

I used to put this on and it could be built out to about 2" but you had to let each coat set and change colour, (from white to pink) then scratch it and build it out. It was basically a renovating plaster.

It used to be applied also with an "Elephant" gun and the spreads used to go behind it and lay it down. The answer to your question is to lay it on, scratch it, and when it has gone off lay your next coat on and "rule" it off.

Leave for a while and then with a sponge float and some water float it up till you bring up a "scum" then leave that for a while then trowel it up...

You can fill the hollows in with the scum, you should have quite a bit of time to play with it.. Have a practice on a piece of p/board first... The secret of "one-coat" is not to treat it the same as ordinary finish plaster.. Good Luck ;)

The secret of "one-coat" is not to treat it the same as ordainary finish plaster.. Good Luck ;)
I’d certainly agree with that :LOL: Personally, I think its bloody awful stuff but admit it has its uses, if some what limited IMO; although I’ve actually recommended it to another OP this very evening! :rolleyes:

Ah!! Richard you have never been taught how to use it properly. ;)

When I was working in Guernsey and it first came on to the market there was a big promotion on and they brought a guy over who did a demo of how to use it and most of the spreads and building companies were invited along.

A lot of the "Old school" spreads still wouldn't use it..!..

I always got on well with it but the downside was that it was a lot more expensive to put on the wall than sand and cement, but the upside was you could build your walls out quite a lot in one day. But it was still like browning and bonding as you couldn't put it on damp areas.

This was why it was used on a w/proof sand and cement back ground.... ;)

Sponsored Links
great thanks Roy! intrigued by it i have to say.

is there any circumstance you would use it to say over-skim, if you had composite backgrounds maybe?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back