WILL A PINE WOOD DIE COVER OVER A DARK BLUE STAIN?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have posted on here befor but have a new question.....
My partner is working on a kids playground all the wood is dark blue, his boss wants it to look like pine wood. Will a wood die come out light enough or will it come out too dark because of the blue underneath? or is there a paint out there that will work the same, as i need it to look like new pine wood.

Sponsored Links
it will be the same colour as now except with a pine colour added so a darker shade off both colours mixed

to look like pine you need to see the grain that requires stripping back to new wood
if its at all discoloured by age mould penetrating paint or stain it will again be a darker version off both colours mixed

Sponsored Links
If the paint can be stripped back completely it can then be varnished/stained but will still look like old pine.

If the existing colour is a stain then it cannot be made to look like new pine. Should this be the case, then it would be wisest for your partner to point this out to his boss who obviously doesn't realise what he is asking him to do is not possible.

The only way to get a new looking pine finish would be to use new wood.

i understand, yes he boss i thinkin is asking alot. he has worked so hard. i even posted on here easier ways to get rid of the paint off the wood besides sanding which he has been doin and just taking forever and already been told a heated pressure washer wont do to much good

nitromours or heat gun if its not penetrating below the surface

Having just read your previous post, I note that you say it is playground timber.

If you are talking about those thick logs we always see in them, I suspect they will be pressure treated and if this is the case then they will always have a blue green tint to them.

If the wood is just painted then it can be stripped with a heat gun or chemical stripper, but as you say, will take a lot of work and time.

Any chemical stripper residue in childrens play areas must be thorughly cleared on health and safety grounds.

Sorry to disappoint. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back