Will front extension require planning?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

First post here so thanks in advance for any help you can offer :)

I have just finished a viewing on a mid terrace house in Woking, surrey. The property shares a porch with the house to the left. The house on the right also has a porch.

I would like to extend the line of the property forwards to fill in the gap between the current porch on the property and with the porch belonging to the property on the left. This is appropriately 2.4 meters wide and 0.8m deep.

I would also want to move the door from the current position in the right porch to the left of the extension as well as moving the position of the window.

I am unclear if this would require planning permission, as i wouldn't be extending past the current line of the the properties. This is less also more than two meters away from the road.

I am considering making an offer on the house but I can only make the house fit my requirements if I can add this extension.

Would this be permitted within Permitted development? If not how likely is it that i would be allowed to make this change?

Thanks for your help.

Martin

Sponsored Links
Extending the porch will not be PD asit would be a front extension, if the houses in the terrace are all the same Planning are unlikely to allow anything that upsets that.

For pd purposes the principal elevation building lines of a house that has a porch that extends beyond the majority of the front wall is that all of the front surfaces form principal elevations ands you're not allowed to extend any of them forward. You can't make your porch wider because it makes the other part of the front wall more forward.. Make sense?

Approach the local planning officer and/or put in for planning prior to making an offer.

It will cost you pennies in relation to the house price and you'll have a definitive answer.

Sponsored Links
I work in Woking, so if you like... email me and I can look into it for you. I also have good contacts at Woking B.C. too. Just search for DOHdesigns on Google and take my email address or phone number from there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back