New Planning permission required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have planning permission for a double storey and porch extension, and in the original plans the architect allowed for the front door to remain where it is but on reflection it seems to make sense to move the door to the end of the new porch, thus increasing the hallway. Apparently this can be done with just an amendment but we think it would make sense to widen the porch by about 0.5 meters as it's currently quite narrow. What's the normal procedure for moving this forward? My current builders are due to finish the back in about 3 weeks and I would like them to start the porch straightaway as once they get into another job they wont be able to come back for monts but as i'm changing the plans will I need to re-submit everything and apply for new planning permission all over again? I was hoping I could make an amendment and just submit that. Is there an acceptable tolerance on changing the plans that means I don't have to resubmit? Is there anyway to speed an amendment through?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Each LA varies in their approach as to what can and cannot be considered an amendment, either you or your architect will need to ask the planners, only they can give you the answer. Try and speak to the officer who dealt with your permission, they're name will be on the approval letter.

ok, guess that would be the case but I recall hearing there was a quick way to get an amendment passed through planning permission without having to resubmit everything. I think the cost was similar to full planning but this method tends to go through a lot quicker - 4 weeks.

Am I just making this up?

Where I live there is no charge if it is considered to be an amendment although LA's may vary. If it needs a whole new application you'll need to pay a whole new fee £150. Time limit for amendment I do not know, you need talk to the planners.

Sponsored Links
i am not 100% sure as only your LA will be able to give you a definative answer, but I believe you will need to apply for full planning again.
If you find a short cut with the time, let us all know, but if the time is cut how will all your neighbours get the standard 4 weeks to register their disapproval?
As it is at the front of the house it is more likely to need full planning for any change.
My single story extension at the rear needed to be 0.8m bigger to avoid a drain, and it is smaller than next doors extension - but i still need to resubmit full plans.

Anecdote: hth,
I recently wanted to rotate the proposed garage (5m by 8m) behind the house so that it aligned with the boundary rather than being square onto the house and road. Perhaps a 10 degree rotation. A phone call to the approval officer required an amendment plan only and was returned as acceptable within a couple of weeks.

yeah, seems like it depends on the planning officer, think they see this as a way to get extra money out of mt e :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back