will it gush ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi lads
going around to a mates house to have a quick look at his heating tomorrow. 2 rads downstairs not heating up.
if the pump has seized due to inactivity for so long(and a few taps of a mallet dont move things), i believe you can try to turn the impellar manully to free it up, and you get at this by removing the big slotted cover in the middle of the pump body. do i need to drain down the system to below this point before taking out this screw/cover ???

its an oldish open vented system, in a house which has not been lived in for about 4 years
he thinks the pump is working
i know the most likely culprit is sludge in the system, but i also think the pump might be worth looking at.

sorry for the long winded question, i have do a fair ammount of basic plumbing but never really had the oppurtunity to break, erm i mean fiddle about with pumps as they seem to be tough bits of kit on the whole

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Remove the large screw in the centre of the pump, make sure the pump has power going to it and see if the pump is spinning. If not then spin it with a screw driver. You do not have to drain down, you will get some water from it when you remove the screw so have a towel handy.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back