Will make all tilers redundant

Sponsored Links
mmmm,just how runny is the grout goner be to take up all the voids behind those tiles?

oh deary deary me. dont know where to start with the issues that raises

Sponsored Links
Playing devils' advocate for a moment, they're not going to fall off, are they? I once had to remove a basin that was heavily fixed with clear silicone, and it took the tiles behind it off the wall.

It's only ever going to work on a dead flat surface, like the old tiles he's tiling over.

Cheers
Richard

Playing devils' advocate for a moment, they're not going to fall off, are they? I once had to remove a basin that was heavily fixed with clear silicone, and it took the tiles behind it off the wall.

It's only ever going to work on a dead flat surface, like the old tiles he's tiling over.

Cheers
Richard

But when you lean on them they're gonna crack!

ok, lets play ball for a moment. No they are unlikely to fall off. if you pressure on them or drill them they are likely to crack though.

Firstly, theres no need to do it, most tubbed tile addys will stick to tiles and can be used to tile over tile. Silicone is more expensive, takes longer and has the danger that it could stain the face of the tile. Its also horrible to work with.

Using a notched trowel and decent adhesive, you wouldnt have to spend ages getting every tile lined up, cos the adhesive bed does it for you.

Secondly there are the obvious issues of tiling on tiles, if they aren't fixed well, or if the combined amount is over the weight restrictions then you have issues.

The guy says that the old tiles will help provide a seal, no they wont, what they will do is allow condensation to build between the layers of tiles and mould, smells etc to build up.

i could go on.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back