Will this structure hold?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Context: I am building a set of alcove cabinets for the first time. Just a DIY project to learn about woodworking. As this is my first attempt, I am making everything out of plain MDF.

I have 3 questions:

- When making 'support' pieces (e.g. cabinet bases, etc), is there much difference between 18mm MDF and 22mm for sturdiness? Is 22mm overkill?

- When building a bookshelf like the 'upper' half of the cabinet shown below, should I use thick MDF for the back support or is it irrelevant? I've seen people say they use 11mm but not sure this will be enough.

- If I make everything out of 22mm MDF to be sure, the unit is c.250kg. Is this likely to be a problem on a second floor? I assume not if the load is distributed.

upload_2016-9-7_23-43-38.png

Dimensions: 2.7m x 2.4m. Blue box is the TV! Detailing is just a rough sketch; cabinets x 3 will have doors!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
18mm throughout is ideal. Thinner is difficult to fix into and thicker is unnecessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back