Advice on building v large MDF storage cabinets/workstation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I was hoping to get some opinions on the storage unit I'm building (plans below).

It is needed to house my freezer and washing machine in the bottom part of the two tall cabinets. I plan on putting a wardrobe rail and maybe even some drawers in the spaces above. The top section will be for stuff that we never really use.

It is just under 3 metres tall (bottom sections about 1900mm tall and top section about 900mm tall) and made in three sections, 2 of the upright cabinets and a wide cabinet mounted across the top with a recess underneath which will be used to fit a worktop to make it into a little workstation.

I'm planning to use 18mm MDF for everything except the base panels for the upright cabinets. The upright cabinets will be constructed using a piece of 25mm MDF for the bottom (as I figure it needs to be stiffer) with the upright sides sitting on this.
I was planning to fit the uprights to the base and top with a butt joint using biscuits and glue along with drywall screws to hold it together while drying. The uprights will sit on top of the base and the top will sit on top of the uprights.
The top section with the three compartments will be the same, but using 18mm mdf all round and the dividers will form the uprights for the carcase.
I will also use 150mm wide planks of MDF as a spar at the back above the shelf, under the top and above the bottom to stiffen it up. These will go between the sides and be glued/screwed in place on the vertical and horizontal.

I will probably pin hardboard onto the backs of all units to finish them but this isn't in the drawing or model.

I will also have doors cut from MDF and fit them with euro kitchen unit style hinges. Hopefully I will cover these with Whiteboard vinyl to make it a bit more fun.

I suppose my main concerns are whether 18mm MDF will be strong enough for the sides. I'd use ply but it won't have as smooth a finish and will be way more expensive. Also, I'm not sure about whether 25mm MDF will be strong enough for the bases? I might use 25mm ply for the bases only if people reckon MDF would be too risky. Especially given one side will house a freezer and the other will house a washing machine.

Also, would people reccommend waterproofing the inside of where the washing machine has to go? I will use a hole saw to make some vents in the bottom, back and sides for vents and plug access.

Any suggestions on how the design could be improved without a lot of extra complexity or expense would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dougie.

cabinetroom.jpg

cupboardlowerunitdrawing.jpg

Sponsored Links
the usual would be 15mm melimane faced chipboard
18 and 25mm mdf are overkill and VERY VERY heavy

I would recommend 18mm green MDF biscuit join together no need for battens build top and bottom sections to get height out of 8x4 sheets I think you will find 25mm a bit heavy to work with if you want that look try applying 25 mm lip and it will also stiffen the sections up a bit

Thanks for the input. I'd use the MFCB but I can't get it nearly as cheaply as 18mm MDF - 18mm mdf comes in at about £14 a sheet while the MFCB comes in at about £25 per sheet. I was concerned that 15mm would be quite flimsy given the height of the units and the amount of load on them. Do you think it would be stiff enough though?
I've always been a bit belt & braces with these types of things so maybe I am going a bit ott. Rather safe than sorry though :)

Sponsored Links
18mm works well with biscuit joints and holds screws in the edges

Do you mean 18mm MFCB or MDF? problem is I need to buy from somewhere who can cut it for me so I'm pretty much limited to B&Q where they only sell 15mm. My ideal situation would be finding some 18mm MFCB in 2440mm by something along the lines of 760mm width. I can get that size in 15mm MFCB from B&Q so maybe I should just use that :confused:

I would recommend green 18mm MDF because of all the reasons I have said plus its cheap easy to buy get machined,and will take a moist environment all finishes are available:melamine formica veneer stainless steel, you just need to shop around If you choose to go with the 15mm option your construction methods should be compatible with the medium ,Melamine Conti board was a very popular choice in the70s using connector blocks

Washing machine and f/f should sit on the floor, no shelf required.
Mdf is ideal . Conti board far to weak and looks cack.

Thanks again for the input. I'm waiting to hear back from a company that supplies 18mm MFC precut to size to see how much it will come in at. It would save a lot of hassle painting the MDF as I can't seem to find a local supplier of veneered MDF or one that will cut and courier it.

Regarding the location of the Freezer and Washing machine, I would normallyput them on the floor... however. The floor the units are going on is uneven and it is easier for me to build units that sit on adjustable legs than units that sit directly on the floor - they would probably wobble around or not sit quite straight and square.

Thanks again for the input. I'm waiting to hear back from a company that supplies 18mm MFC precut to size to see how much it will come in at. It would save a lot of hassle painting the MDF as I can't seem to find a local supplier of veneered MDF or one that will cut and courier it.

Regarding the location of the Freezer and Washing machine, I would normallyput them on the floor... however. The floor the units are going on is uneven and it is easier for me to build units that sit on adjustable legs than units that sit directly on the floor - they would probably wobble around or not sit quite straight and square.
Appliances all have adjustable feet and vibration from washing machine could shake the unit to pieces

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back