Will this work - Routing Plywood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Still planning my shed. Asked on an earlier post where I could get textured plywood siding in sheets (used in U.S.) with no luck. What I wanted to do was to build my frame and then put this sidings on and voila.. no tongue and groove.

Now I am thinking could I get sheets of marine plywood and route it to make it look like tongue and groove. Will it be ok or will it mean the plywood is not weather proof?

Prob end up just putting tng on it. By the way can anyone give me an easy way to calculate how much TnG I would need for a 10 x 8 shed.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
the common material for shed finish is weatherboarding. you should find this quite easily.

Shiplap would be better for the walls because, as it says, it laps (but not ships !!). Use T&G for floor and roof, make your shed a "convenient" size, i.e. 3M (9' 9") if thats the length you can buy the timber in, saves on waste/fiddling about. Use 3"x2" for your "joists", 2"x2" for wall frames spaced every 2', remembering to set the end panel frame uprights in 2"from the edge so they butt up to your side panels. a pent roof is easier for d.i.y. . Add three panes of glass between side uprights with a bit of silicone sealant to stop draughts, a door on one end (padlocked), a bolt on the inside, a chair, fridge, t.v. . Heaven !!!

Been searching for that type of siding myself, can't find it anywhere.

So thought about routing the panels myself also, can't see any reason why it wouldn't work, providing a good coat of wood preserver was used, and the cuts weren't too deep.

I imagine thats how the panels you get in America are made anyhow.

Sponsored Links
He might of done but I'm after the same thing as the plans for my new shed are from the USA & this is what they use for this shed & I cant find any over here, so I might have to put a thin ply on first then T&G or Shiplap over that :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back