Will Unistrut support five digital menu boards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I want to install digital menu boards in my fish and chip shop. The shop is 5m wide and has a suspended ceiling so my plan is to fit two parallel lengths of uni strut above the suspended ceiling and fix five ceiling brackets from it, the total load will be under 50Kg along the two 5m lengths.

Will the uni strut support this without sagging in the middle as there is no way to brace it at the mid point without using some kind of wire suspension which I would like to avoid.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You are mounting it above the suspended ceiling, why can't you just fix it in the same way? If you don't like wire use 6mm studding and brackets.
I have had a look at Unistrut's site ( http://www.unistrut.co.uk/index.php?part=P5500T&M1=Support Systems&M2=Single and Double Channel )and as far as I can see, even if you can get it in 5/6m long the loading curves only go up to 3m, i.e. They expect more then just end fixings.
Frank
What do you mean month it in the same way? The actual roof is very high and it's not practical to get up there with the suspended ceiling in place.

Sponsored Links
The suspended ceiling is 2.55m and I would say it's about the same above the ceiling

So not particularly long drop from the ceiling to the suspended ceiling grid. I'd suggest removing part of the suspended ceiling grid to give you access to the ceiling, install brackets onto the ceiling above the installation location and then threaded bar long enough to penetrate the ceiling tiles attached to the mount points on your menu boards. While you're doing that you can lay in the power connectors/data cables for the boards at the same time.

So not particularly long drop from the ceiling to the suspended ceiling grid. I'd suggest removing part of the suspended ceiling grid to give you access to the ceiling, install brackets onto the ceiling above the installation location and then threaded bar long enough to penetrate the ceiling tiles attached to the mount points on your menu boards. While you're doing that you can lay in the power connectors/data cables for the boards at the same time.

That's not possible because it's a vaulted ceiling. I could screw another piece of strut to the roof though and use cables to support the lower strut as 5m is quite a long length.

If you know a welder, get him to weld a bit of studding to each end of a piece of rebar (4m long). Now you have a piece of 6m long studding! Getting it fixed it into the right place will be difficult.
Frank

That's not possible because it's a vaulted ceiling. I could screw another piece of strut to the roof though and use cables to support the lower strut as 5m is quite a long length.

With a vaulted ceiling just use different length of threaded bar - it's a standard way of hanging lots of equipment.

If it makes it easier then use lengths of chain from brackets on the ceiling

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back